I give up! I'm going to drill bumper for plate!!!

frank3si

Established Member
Well, today the ground got a bit too close to my front license plate bracket and bent the cooler brace it was attached to. Nothing fatal, but... Having tried an alternative now, I am giving up the ghost and rather than trying another complicated (though I credit everyone for being very innovative) workaround I'm just going to mount the stupid plate to the bumper. It's not that big a deal to me, and if NJ ever catches up to the real world and gets rid of front plates I'll just stick an SVT plate on there or something.

My question - does anybody know where I can get one of the kinda form-fitting plastic mounts, where the mount attaches to the bumper, and the plate attaches to the mount? Along the lines of the pic below, but obviously not as ugly since the bumper on the Cobra is big enough to hold a full plate...

Frank

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
My bracket was in my trunk when I got the car. Now it's on the work bench until I get stopped for not having it on the car. I would imagine you can get the factory mount through Ford's parts department at you local dealer.

CobraTone

Established Member
Nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo, not the drill!! J/k, sorry nothing worked out for ya. Glad my state doesn't require that sh*t. :shrug:

beepx22

Established Member
i use 2 hair-tie rubber bands and the passanger sunvisor for my front plate, along with the "officer if you want to drill holes in a car that cost about 40 thousand dollars, you go buy your own car that cost about 40,000" excuse, which has worked relativly well so far

Gumball

Established Member
Frank, here's my thought. Go back to the dealer you got it from and tell them you now need it. They will then tell you it will be "X" dollars. You then say, oh no, you will order me one for free. State law says I have to have one and you guys didn't give it to me. If they still balk, ask to borrow their phone and dial the attorney generals office in NJ (It will help to have it with you). The only thing worse than putting on that bracket would be paying for it first!!

BTW, disregard the above if you made a big stink about them not putting it on in the first place. Or hope they forgot about it.

Good Luck

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by frank3si
Well, today the ground got a bit too close to my front license plate bracket and bent the cooler brace it was attached to. Nothing fatal, but... Having tried an alternative now, I am giving up the ghost and rather than trying another complicated (though I credit everyone for being very innovative) workaround I'm just going to mount the stupid plate to the bumper. It's not that big a deal to me, and if NJ ever catches up to the real world and gets rid of front plates I'll just stick an SVT plate on there or something.

My question - does anybody know where I can get one of the kinda form-fitting plastic mounts, where the mount attaches to the bumper, and the plate attaches to the mount? Along the lines of the pic below, but obviously not as ugly since the bumper on the Cobra is big enough to hold a full plate...

Frank

Damn, thats a funny looking Cobra! And you added a couple of doors.

frank3si

Established Member
>>>BTW, disregard the above if you made a big stink about them not putting it on in the first place.

You got it, Gumball! Actually, I bought through Darin Kreiss at Maguire's Ford in Harrisburg, PA - an elightened state where they don't require this front plate nonsense. :shrug: So when I said, "No plate!" Darin said "No problem!"

And as for you Sonic Blue 2003:

>>>Damn, thats a funny looking Cobra! And you added a couple of doors.

Yeh, that's my new ground effects package ;-)

Frank

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The dealer should still provide you with the bracket. I bought mine in Indiana (NO frt plate state), but I live in Illinois (YES frt plate state). The car didn't come with the bracket, because it was shipped to Indiana, but they did order one for me (no charge). It is still in the box in my garage, just in case. HA! HA!

Dana

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Once you get the Ford bracket, have it painted the color of the car. It will still be ugly............but not quite so ugly................Don

LandShark

Established Member
Just make sure if you let them drill the bumper that they do it LEVEL. The flunky who did mine at the dealer drilled the holes 1/2 " higher on the drivers side. Stupid thing looks like it will fall off any minute. The dealer is supposed to fix next month. Didnt notice when accepting car until I went to mount the front plate.

Trader

Established Member
Ok frank got a fix. www.imageevent.com/lastws6 total cost was under 3 bucks. You use the existing holes and just put the new spacers up. They are cut to 5 3/8" with a 6" x 1/4" hex bolt to secure the set-up.

Got to love my plate. NOt original but heck.
platebracket2%20001.jpg

my wife and the car. :)
platebracket2%20002.jpg

side view
platebracket2%20003.jpg

The parts.
platebracket2%20004.jpg

ZXnVS

Established Member
Trader: nothing personal, but on my car I'd rather have air getting to the intercooler than have an unobstructed bumper.

Frank3si: look at the bright side. When (not if) some @#$% idiot backs into your front bumper, the license plate and bracket will absorb a little of the damage!

Trader

Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
Trader: nothing personal, but on my car I'd rather have air getting to the intercooler than have an unobstructed bumper.

Frank3si: look at the bright side. When (not if) some @#$% idiot backs into your front bumper, the license plate and bracket will absorb a little of the damage!
Not going to argue with you on that one. But the cooler is only partially blocked from direct windflow while driving. About 40%. But that is also why it sits out a little in front. The plate sets out 6 1/2 inches from the cooler.

After landshark posted that pic, i am glad i went through the troublle to find an alternative. Someone else also makes one here too. But again. i by no means am doing this to make a profit. Just hate to see the front of a car i am not going to keep forever get defaced.

This plate bracket is good ticket insurance to keep in your trunk.

itpphoto

Established Member
From what I read in a couple places, the 1 plate states could be mandated by the feds to have 2 plates. It's part of the 9-11 "we now control everything" thinking to use cameras to track vehicles state to state. The states that have a tollway system with electronic toll paying modules also want the front plate because you are 50% less identifiable without it. Same with tinted covers and those expensive ones you can't see from the side. I live in IL and I did see in writing a directive from the tollway to the state police not to issue verbal or written warnings for no front plate, only tickets. It was on the wall of the tollway authority building, I saw it when I went to pay my "I forgot to throw the money in" fine, $40.

frank3si

Established Member
Peter, do you actually have this bracket mounted on your Cobra? What do you attach it to on the Cobra front end?

Frank

randy

Established Member
just stick it in the window!!!! California says it cant be more than 60 inches off the ground. I got some 3m trim adhesive and stuck it inside my window. I have been pulled over SEVERAL times, and no problems. We have the cameras at stoplights round here that take pics, so they want your front plate visible.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by frank3si
Peter, do you actually have this bracket mounted on your Cobra? What do you attach it to on the Cobra front end?

Frank

It's mounted right through the underneath plastic of the bumper as you can see here......... It comes off very easily for polishing or show.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread