I finally joined the military (air force)

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
well, i finally maned up and joined after 2 yeards of debating. I was sworn in 2 days ago after being in MEPS all day. I didn't have much to choose from so i made my number 1 choice as security forces (which i wanted to do) and fire protection as my second. I talked to my recruiter to set something up to take my special forces test. But i'm still debating if i want to keep doing security forces or do pararesecue (if i pass). But i'm really looking forward to SF becuase i want to be a cop when i get out. I've wanted to be in the military ever since 8th grade and now i'm finally doing it. I'm so happy. But i can bet i'm in for a rude awakening haha. Thanks a lot for your guys help in the previous threads i posted about info on the military, it did help.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
That's great, man, the hardest part is actually stepping up that first time. You'll be a changed man, good luck.

cuban

Established Member
you will regret going sfs. 6 month deployments etc. they also have the worst work schd 12hr days 4 on 3 off no exceptions. Plus i have heard that being an mp is not that great of a qualification to get a civ job that may not be true but after being augmented to them once i could see why it would be. i would go as a fire fighter they have it made in the air force.

ellis4

Established Member
But i can bet i'm in for a rude awakening haha.

It's the Air Force.. Yeah, I know some of the Air Force guys are pretty well trained and fairly badass.. But, read the first line again..

Just being a jerk for the hell of it, you're a man of honor for serving your country.. and you'll be doing it around the hot chicks of the armed forces. Even if they think most of you guys are dorks :poke:

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
you will regret going sfs. 6 month deployments etc. they also have the worst work schd 12hr days 4 on 3 off no exceptions. Plus i have heard that being an mp is not that great of a qualification to get a civ job that may not be true but after being augmented to them once i could see why it would be. i would go as a fire fighter they have it made in the air force.

that work schedule is fine for me. Have you been in SF? or heard from SF officiers? You make of what it is. and 6 month deployments? better than over a year. anything else do i want to ''regret''?

ALSO. it depends on waht base you are stationed at. yea, i could be standing at a gate for 12 hours or i can be doing something active.

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
im joining soon as well....i have all the paper work what do i have to expect once i turn the paper work in?

paper work as in your application? after that, you'll go to meps. sign more paperwork and take a pysical, pick a job, pick a ship date, sign the contract and go home and wiat for a phone call.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Air Force?:bored:

j/k and good luck:beer:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
paper work as in your application? after that, you'll go to meps. sign more paperwork and take a pysical, pick a job, pick a ship date, sign the contract and go home and wiat for a phone call.

yes application, shits been rough at home trying to strap everything down....

Sapperstang

Established Member
Congrats and thanks. I wouldn't worry about basic. Army basic isn't like it once was and AF basic has always been easier.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Just being a jerk for the hell of it, you're a man of honor for serving your country.. and you'll be doing it around the hot chicks of the armed forces. Even if they think most of you guys are dorks :poke:

Wait, what? Where the hell were they when i was in the Navy? I found me a civillian before i got out, and didnt look back!

If the hot chicks in the Navy (Cant speak for all the branches) had as many dicks comin out of them, as they did goin in, they'd all look like porcupines! :poke:

To the OP, if you like the COLD, and dont want to see the sun for a couple months at a time, request Thule AFB.

NXSVTCOBRA

I didn't have much to choose from so i made my number 1 choice as security forces (which i wanted to do) and fire protection as my second.

What's this 1st and 2nd choice stuff? You can't 'pick' your job in the Air Force? Is the Army the only branch that you know what you'll be doing before you go in?

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
What's this 1st and 2nd choice stuff? You can't 'pick' your job in the Air Force? Is the Army the only branch that you know what you'll be doing before you go in?

You can pick your job in the AF, sometimes you will have to wait a while to get it (I was in delayed enlistment status for 9 months waiting for an slot for my job). Sounds like the recruiter trying to make quota too me.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Congratulation svtcobra2004 :thumbsup:

Your decision will help shape the rest of you life.

Best of luck and good will, let us know how it goes.

WP

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
It also sounds like he is trying to make his quota. They tried doing the same thing to me, but I opted to wait after passing my P.A.S.T. test and went in with the guarantee of going to INDOC. Even if you dont make it usually most will either put in and get TACP, Security or SERE. Its great if you want to be a firefighter, but, it is 24 on and 24 off with a kelly day every 2 weeks. Even when u get out, most of your cities are going to want you to have your Paramedic License beore you get hired on and that is something that you wont get while in the Air Force. Just remember that this is a 4 yr commitment unless they talked you into the 6 year because of the higher bonuses and you want to be happy with your job. Good Luck and thanks for Serving.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
you will regret going sfs. 6 month deployments etc. they also have the worst work schd 12hr days 4 on 3 off no exceptions.

:dw: If that's the worst work schedule in the military then you have picked the best job in the military, 6 month deployments! damn that would be cake man thats barely half of what the Army does, if your unit doesnt get extended.

Good luck man, your doing a great thing for yourself and America. What they will do to you and tell you, regardless of what tine of voice its in will be for a good reason, and they are only trying to make you the best you can be. Take the yelling with a grain of salt and you will succede. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread