I finally defeated my clunk! And two other problems went with it...

arc00ta

Established Member
So ever since I bought this car in 2010 it has had the clunk in the rear, and not just a little bit, this was super-clunk. It sounded like someone hitting the bottom of the car with a sledge kind of clunk.

I tried many things, I bought a billet differential cover, larger subframe bolts, aluminum bushings from FTBR for the front support, I did all sorts of things to try and fix it. Apparently I forgot to use my brain and take a good hard look at the parts under there. My issue for 2+ years? The 18mm bolt holding the diff cover bushing.

I actually stuck my fingers on it today while I had the car on the lift, and while it seemed snug the last time I tried to crank on it, it was backed out so far it was up against the toe link (?), maybe about 1.5" of threads hanging out.

I got it all the way out and put some blue thread locker and stuck it back in being sure to crank it all the way down and guess what, NO CLUNK! Completely gone, and along with it this horrible squeak the car would make over big bumps and a rhythmic squeaking noise which I was sure was coming from the brakes. Also helped my car get moving a lot more smoothly with the Spec 3+ clutch without all of that slack. Its like driving a whole new car. I can't believe I kept missing this for so much time, but you couldn't see it at all because the link bolts right in front of it.

Artie1957

Banned
My car is doing the same thing. It has the clunk and the squeak. Thanks I think you helped me solve my problem! Could you please post a picture of the bolt.

Last edited:

BOSStang50

Established Member
This exact thing happened to me as well (different location though). After i did the ftbr bushing kit on the irs and reinstalled everything about 2 months down the road i started getting a bad clunk. Finally got under and found out the nut backed off the bolt for the rear diff support. Threw some loctite on a new one and got it back on (barely) talk about a PITA getting that thing torqued back down without having to rip everything apart. Its been fine ever since clunk eliminated.

Last edited:

SVTPaul

Established Member
This exact thing happened to me as well (different location though). After i did the ftbr bushing kit on the irs and reinstalled everything about 2 months down the road i started getting a bad clunk. Finally got under and found out the nut backed off the bolt for the rear diff support. Threw some loctite on a new one and got it back on (barely) talk about a PITA getting that thing torqued back down without having to rip everything apart. Its been fine ever since clunk eliminated.

I'm going to have to get under mine for a look, because the same thing happened after I installed the FTBR kit!!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Anyone have any tips on how to put a wrench or socket on that nut? I can barely get a finger in there.

Users who are viewing this thread