I don't know how to title this question, lol

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Back in the day, even before I was driving and my friends would get pulled over they would hand the officer all their info (license, insurance, registration) all together in the plastic pouch that you normally get for holding your insurance card but I've noticed lately if you try to do that (hand the officer your license, insurance, and registration) all in the pouch they ask you to remove the documents from the pouch and hand it to them? I always thought it made it easier and convenient to hand all your docs all together in the pouch instead of separately... Just wondering why they now ask you to remove everything and hand it to them separately when in the past I remember my friends and myself would hand it all to them inside the insurance card pouch and never be asked to remove it and it would all be handed back to us by the officer the same way, everything inside the pouch?

Just curious why they wont except your info until you take it out of the insurance card pouch now...

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I thought it was easier and more convenient to hand a persons documents to a officer all together for when he goes back to his car and checks everything and then hand everything back that way. That's how I've seen people do it in the past when I wasn't driving and how I did it when I got pulled over in my earlier driving years but now all of a sudden I tried that and the officer asked me to remove everything first and hand it to him. A guy I work with had the same thing happen where the officer handed back his insurance in the insurance card pouch and asked him to remove it and hand it back. I thought there might of been a reason why in the past you could hand over all your docs (insurance, registration, and license) inside the insurance card pouch and not now....

So no explanation why they weren't like this in the past?

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
So no explanation why they weren't like this in the past?

I've been on the job for over 22 years now and have never accepted a bundle of paperwork as you described. I have always had the driver remove them from any pouches, wallets, etc.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I've been on the job for over 22 years now and have never accepted a bundle of paperwork as you described. I have always had the driver remove them from any pouches, wallets, etc.

Oh ok... I'll take is as the few times "in the past" they didn't make me or my friends take it out was just the particular officer then.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Lt is right on point. Its not uncommon for someone to accuse an officer of not returning something or all the sudden a $100 bill mysteriously disappear. Some have learned the hard way,being accused. I for one don,t recall taking several documents at one time,especially in something like you are describing. Officers want the least amount of paperwork possible to get all the necessary info. Officer safety also..the more things to keep up with the more to chase down on the side of a highway

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Agreed, We troopers only take what is needed. We never take hold of a wallet or purse all we need is the driver license and or insurance information.
From a distance other drivers may think we are flipping though a wallet. It alleviates a whole lot of issues.

Users who are viewing this thread