I done goofed

SCalla1384

Established Member
Today I decided to start installing my tvs kit. Put the car on the lift, got the bumper off, intake etc etc... Made real good progress and time. Was hoping to be able to finish it by tomorrow night.

Got the the grinding of the timing cover part. Trimmed the 2 bosses no problem. Then when I was cutting the other one, the disc kept slipping off my dremel. So I used a right angle grinder, and I messed up.

78CAD190-F394-4605-87E1-02DB64594EC9_zpsbzds2bdw.jpg

I'm so frustrated with myself. It's not that I wasn't paying attention, I just idk lol. It got away from me I guess. Now I have to pull the valve covers, balancer, cover etc.

If I so much as nicked a chain link, I'm replacing the chain. And at that point putting in oil pump gears. But let's hope not.

I'm assuming the smart thing to do is buy new timing cover gaskets, balancer TTY Bolt, and maybe there's a seal for the balancer?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Might as well get new oil pump gears... Good insurance.

Shit happens, at least you working on your car yourself.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Yeah I'm kind of debating it. Idk if I feel like dealing with all those chains and shit lol. Yeah for sure, just annoyed at myself because it was so avoidable. Thanks to blazer on his oil pump write up swap, I grabbed all the part numbers to the gaskets and tty bolt I need.

Vert

Established Member
Dont feel bad. The first one I installed on my 13 went flawlessly, but when I installed it on my 14, I did the same thing, just not all the way through. I hope you plan on buying a cover with the bosses already milled off.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Slow down turbo! There is no need to rush this sort of work. At least you didn't chop a finger off.

It's not a difficult install. Everything's pretty straight forward. I just made a silly mistake lol

Dont feel bad. The first one I installed on my 13 went flawlessly, but when I installed it on my 14, I did the same thing, just not all the way through. I hope you plan on buying a cover with the bosses already milled off.

I ordered a new timing cover from LMR. They sell covers with the bosses already milled off? Regardless, grinding and cutting them down with the cover off the car will be real easy

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I'd be pissed to but put it behind you, because when its done and you do your 1st pull with the sc you will know why you suffered with this set back and it will be worth it!

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Just shake it off and continue. Do oil pump gears and sprocket, your right there now. If you can afford it put a ATI balancer to.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Like other have recommened, do OPG, sprocket and I would also suggest the Boss tentioners as well. I did all but the sprocket on mine since it wasn't out when I did the work.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Make sure to clean all the aluminum dust and cutting material from inside the cover. make sure its not in the oil pan now.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Yup that's the plan, thanks for the heads up though. I'll be changing the oil anyways, so I'll make sure I get everything out. I may run 2 quarts or so through the system just to make sure I get anything out, then fill her up.

cjd223

Established Member
Sorry for your issues. I used a cheap Harbor Freight right angle drill and a spade bit to cut my bosses down. Took about 10 minutes.

5lho

Established Member
I looked down in front on my 14 and it appears to have the pre-modified cover so, that'll make life easier down the road....

Vert

Established Member
They look low enough to me and I'm sure it made it easy since it wasn't installed on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread