I cut the stock springs.

kcsburk

Established Member
I am new here in case you might wonder who the hell I am. I just picked up an 04 Cobra. I have being reading about cutting the stock springs on this site and decided to do so this past weekend. I cut one coil off the front and rear springs. Measuring from the ground to the bottom of the fender (Centered of course), the fronts measure 26 1/4 and the rears measure 26 3/4. There is more gap between the tire and the fender in the front then there is in the back. I like how much the front dropped but the back is setting to low for my taste. I would think 3/4 of a coil off of the rears would have been a better choice. Anyway, this is just information. I am probally going to buy a new set of rear springs and try 3/4 of a coil.

By the way, the ride is not harsh at all. At least not yet.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
kcsburk said:
...SNIP...I would think 3/4 of a coil off of the rears would have been a better choice. ...SNIP....

WARNING, you will get tons of "BUY PROPER LOWERING SPRINGS INSTEAD OF CUTTING STOCK ONES" flamers for a post like this, I am not one of them.

This is a pic of my rear coils cut 3/4 coil.

Good luck
cut-coil.jpg

newcastle

what did you guys use to cut the spring? torch? would a bandsaw work? i am doing this in a couple of months...

Jpjr

Established Member
postban said:
WARNING, you will get tons of "BUY PROPER LOWERING SPRINGS INSTEAD OF CUTTING STOCK ONES" flamers for a post like this, I am not one of them.

This is a pic of my rear coils cut 3/4 coil.

Good luck
cut-coil.jpg

Beer, smokes, and coils... all any good Saturday needs.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
newcastle said:
what did you guys use to cut the spring? torch? would a bandsaw work? i am doing this in a couple of months...
DO NOT USE A TORCH! The heat will weaken the spring. If you do decide to do this, CUT THE SPRING.

-Mike

kcsburk

Established Member
newcastle said:

I used a dremel with a re-enforced cutting wheel on it. You will need more then one cutting wheel.

Jpjr,

That looks more like 1 1/3 of a coil that you cut off???????? Do you have any pic's of your car with 3/4 coil cut off the back? How much did you cut off the front? Can you take a measurment as I have above?

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
newcastle said:

we used a bandsaw.

Jpjr

Established Member
kcsburk said:
I used a dremel with a re-enforced cutting wheel on it. You will need more then one cutting wheel.

Jpjr,

That looks more like 1 1/3 of a coil that you cut off???????? Do you have any pic's of your car with 3/4 coil cut off the back? How much did you cut off the front? Can you take a measurment as I have above?

those are postban's springs= bandsaw. agree never ever use a torch on springs.

metaman

Established Member
You might be able to get a slightly thicker isolator instead of going to the expence of buying another set of rear springs.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
kcsburk said:
...snip...
That looks more like 1 1/3 of a coil that you cut off????????

Coil distance is vertical, not around the diameter.

kcsburk said:
Do you have any pic's of your car with 3/4 coil cut off the back?

Soon

kcsburk said:
How much did you cut off the front?

None, not planning any either, I just want it level. The front was plenty low as is.

kcsburk said:
Can you take a measurment as I have above?

Sure, should be able to get to it in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread