I changed my plugs today and I was shocked to find what I did!

kaos

Established Member
I'm so glad I did this. The last two plugs on either side, right next to the firewall were screwed up big time. They had rust, water, and what looks like wet sand. WTF! If you guys haven't changed your stock plugs I suggest doing it just for the peace of mind. I've only washed my engine a few times, but damn these are bad. Maybe the previous owner washed his engine a lot. Be careful.

Well my car idles better now and I wonder if I'll get better gas mileage. At least I can hope. The anode's on the left two plugs were rusted as well as the coils too.

For anybody that hasn't done it. It's the easiest thing I've done to my car. These are the only instructions I used.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70390

Brace yourself......

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
WTF, was the grit on top of the plugs? Hope none fell in when you removed them.

Last edited:

kaos

Established Member
Yeah I was wondering if I should take them, but what can they do?

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Mine looked like that too. Had all kinds of sand looking grime on them. I am the original owner and live no where around sand like at the beach...hmmm I wonder where it came from, maybe its magic sand.

kaos

Established Member
LOL! I think I got mine when I went by the beach, but when I left I didn't turn my car upside down to get all the sand out.

Vinnie T

Established Member
The wiring harnesses for the coil packs go into the back of the plug covers. It's not a perfect seal, so any grime that gets kicked up can end up in the plug holes nearest the back. Also be careful when washing the motor. If you can avoid getting much water on that same rear area of the plug covers, you should be able to avoid having water get into the plug holes. And no high pressure on the water. Also make sure the gaskets on the plug covers is in place, and that they are tight enough when torqued down.

kaos

Established Member
Oh and one more positive thing that happened after changing the plugs was the weird ticking sound I developed a week ago is gone. It started after I washed the engine and it ticked in the morning when it was cold. Now it's gone. So I'm happy about that.

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
Haha, I just changed the front three on the driver's side, and when I got to the one nearest the firewall, same damn thing. Rust. I haven't pulled the plug out yet because tomorrow I'm going to buy some of that air-in-a-can and try to get the rusty crap out of there first.

I'm glad I read this first or I would have completely freaked out.

Also, did your plugs smell really strongly of gasoline?? :??:

Last edited:

kaos

Established Member
Tell me about it. I freaked. I didn't notice any smell from my plugs. But my car doesn't have a wierd smell anymore when I stop it. Good call on the air can, I used some too, but I'm afraid there is still junk down there.

Well I just finished running through one tank of gas and I increased my mpg by 3. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! I was only getting 12 and by driving like grandma for an entire tank I only hit 13. I just hit 15.3 and I wasn't trying to conserve gas. This is strictly city driving in traffic. So my NGK Iridium's will be paid for in about 10 fillup's.

So many good things have come from changing those plugs and I hope the same happens to you and anybody else. I am going to be very careful when I wash my engine now. :beer:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by omslaw
I was only getting 12 and by driving like grandma for an entire tank I only hit 13. I just hit 15.3 and I wasn't trying to conserve gas. This is strictly city driving in traffic.

still though....15.3? i get AT LEAST 17-18 even when i POUND on it....
BTW on the trip to and from FL last week i was getting over 26 MPG...:rockon:

SCOTT99COBRA

SVT Poster
Established Member
My '99 only has 13K, but I am wondering if I should change them anyway since they are 5 years old? Also, I am curious why you chose the NGK IRIDIUM plugs. How are they different/better than the stock ones? My Cobra is stock other than a K&N air filter.

kaos

Established Member
Damn. I don't want to hear about everybody's great gas mileage. I'm just happy that I'm back at 15, maybe this next tank will run a little better. I'm sure that I should be able to get 23 or so on the highway.

The reason I chose the Iridium's is because I saw a post on the terminator forum and it was a test with all kinds of plugs. They had the Denso iridium's, some platinums, and copper. I believe it tested the amount of misfires and at the upper rpm range the Denso's had way less misfires. So I just figured if they had tested the NGK's that it would have been better than the rest just not as good as the Denso's. I'm just guessing though. Also, I figured it either makes no difference or is slightly better so I just opted for the NGK's. It's only $6.50 for each plug and like I said they willl be paid off for pretty soon. So in a way I got them for free.

I say just go ahead and change them it's the easiest thing I've done and it's not that expensive. Also for peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread