I... Can't Help it.. Go To The Darkside? (C5 Vette)

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I've been looking at C5 Vettes here and there on autotrader.com, and I'm playing with the idea of maybe trading up. My original plans were to get an STS turbo for the GT, but now I'm not so sure. Running low boost would be fun for a while, but then I'd have to build the motor up to run high boost, and I'm just not ready to do something that elaborate yet.

If I went with a C5 I'd have to get one with no less than 50k miles on it, because my budget isn't all pimp-like. How do the vette motors hold up over time? I've driven one before and it the cockpit seduced me heavily. I loved how close the shifter was, and the whole car just felt spot-on. The handling was awesome and the power was great, but I don't know much about the durability of vettes. I'm a Mustang guy.

I just don't want to walk into something I'll regret. Any board memebers here switch to a C5? Any regrets? Any problems with the car? Any advice or warnings?

Should I do it?

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I went from a 590rwhp 03 Cobra to my 382rwhp 02 z06 and haven't looked back at all. I love it and would do it again in a heart beat.

If a vette is what you want, you'll constantly think about it until you buy one. That's what I did.

The Vette was my first GM car, and it seems pretty straight forward as far as maintenance. Mods are fairly more expensive than mustangs, but the all-motor power is awesome.

Last edited:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
hydroshutter said:
If a vette is what you want, you'll constantly think about it until you buy one. That's what I did.

I can't stop looking at them. It's wierd, because I wasn't really interested that much before, but today it just hit me. I think I'd be happier with a Vette. Maybe I'm just changing my taste with age, but the Vette just seems like it'd be a better solution for my needs than a Mustang would. And again, the cockpit is to die for. The shifter is right there. It's awesome.

SlammedSVT

Who's ya Daddy?
Established Member
They grow on you bad. I have a buddy that owns two c5s. One is built out the ass and the other is has a few bolt on mods. He kepts trying to get me to sell my L and get one. Its starting to make me question if I want to kept the truck or not.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
This might seem like a stupid question, but I remember hearing some bullshit about it being tough to change the spark plugs towards the back of the motor on Vettes. Is that true?

Floof

McDoof
Established Member
if you are looking at c5 zo6's, the 01 and previous models had oil leak issues, 02 and up are fine. I know on F-bodies the rear plugs are a PITA to change, not sure about the vette though.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Maybe look into the FRC Corvettes. From what I know, they were the stepping stone model that became the Z06. Lighter weight, stiffer coupe structure... And I believe they were only made in 1999, which helps the price.

I might be off on some of this... I've always been into Vettes myself, just been a while since I've actually frequented their forums and studied up.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
xilix said:
This might seem like a stupid question, but I remember hearing some bullshit about it being tough to change the spark plugs towards the back of the motor on Vettes. Is that true?

Yes. I don't exactly think that would stop you from buying a car though would it?

A C5 has vastly superior driving dynamics to an SN95 Mustang. I had 4 SN95s and 2 C5s (sometimes at the same time) and I could never get positioned right between the pedals, shifter, wheel, etc in the Stang. C5 has a chintzy interior for the money(yeah, the Corvette dudes didn't take it very well when I said the cars interiors were equal), but it fits really well. Shifter is right there, pedals are well placed.

C5 is certainly a better car than a 00 GT, but that's why it costs twice as much. It's crazy to think used Z06s are getting in the mid 20's now, so C5's can be had in the teens. I had a buddy buy a mint 99 FRC with 20k miles for 21k two years ago. If you don't mind 50k miles, you will find one CHEAP!

bunk22

Established Member
Though sllightly different, I replaced my 480rwhp 03 Cobra with a C6. Don't regret it for a moment. Better car in just about every respect except for ease of making power. I would think the C5 would be similar.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Floof said:
if you are looking at c5 zo6's, the 01 and previous models had oil leak issues, 02 and up are fine. I know on F-bodies the rear plugs are a PITA to change, not sure about the vette though.
Are you talking about the incorrectly gapped rings? My buddy had an 01 z06 and tried to get them to diagnose it and repair it, they pretty much told him he didnt run the oil consumption test and his warranty was up also.

They are def sweet cars tho, I loved the way the seats sat. I hate how people park next to me now... even when I'm way out in the back of the lot, I imagine it would be the same...

My buddy that had the 01 z06, lamented sometimes how he wish he could have found a 02, so he would have the digital read out on the windshield.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I prefer to own both cars. Why just settle for one?

Z06.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
xilix...Im in the same exact boat as you. Actually last night I was perusing the vette forums looking at c5's for sale. I found a 50k mile c5 with mods for $16.5! I definitely see a Vette in my future. Id love to get an 01 or 02 Z06 but that might be out of the price range for another year or two. I guess I could work a little harder....haha.

I was just like you. Vettes never really interested me until I actually sat and rode in one. Night and day difference between a Stang and a Vette. Only problem is theres not a lot of younger guys with Vettes so meets would be kinda ghey. Id probably have to hang out with their grand children lol

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
hydroshutter said:
I went from a 590rwhp 03 Cobra to my 382rwhp 02 z06 and haven't looked back at all. I love it and would do it again in a heart beat.

The Vette was my first GM car, and it seems pretty straight forward as far as maintenance. Mods are fairly more expensive than mustangs, but the all-motor power is awesome.
id have to agree.:beer:

Jefe

Established Member
xilix - out of curiousity I quoted insurance on an 02 Z06 and a coupe and its just about the same price as my 03 GT. Oh snap....

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
DBK said:
Yes. I don't exactly think that would stop you from buying a car though would it?

A C5 has vastly superior driving dynamics to an SN95 Mustang. I had 4 SN95s and 2 C5s (sometimes at the same time) and I could never get positioned right between the pedals, shifter, wheel, etc in the Stang. C5 has a chintzy interior for the money(yeah, the Corvette dudes didn't take it very well when I said the cars interiors were equal), but it fits really well. Shifter is right there, pedals are well placed.

C5 is certainly a better car than a 00 GT, but that's why it costs twice as much. It's crazy to think used Z06s are getting in the mid 20's now, so C5's can be had in the teens. I had a buddy buy a mint 99 FRC with 20k miles for 21k two years ago. If you don't mind 50k miles, you will find one CHEAP!

If I couldn't change the plugs by myself, I'd be seriously dissapointed. But, I guess I would still buy it. I just like to do my own maintenance ya know? Paying a garage to change my plugs would really, really suck. I have a bad back, so I'd probably have to pay a garage to do it, if it involved strenuous labor. I can only work on my car for about an hour max. and then I have to lay down for the rest of the day.

I definately don't mind 50k miles. I don't think I could get a Z unless I found a really nice deal. I think my price limit rides around $19k - $20k. Anything higher and the payments would start to get out of control.

SnkBtn99 said:
Why get rid of anything ...the best of both worlds is the way to go ....

1995COBRA-R said:
I prefer to own both cars. Why just settle for one?

Z06.jpg

Guys, I'm barely making it by right now. There is no way in hell I could afford to have two cars on the road. If I could, I wouldn't even think twice about buying the C5, I'd just buy it, and if I didn't like it, I'd sell it.

I'll be trading in my Mustang to get a C5, which means the sum of my loan will grow, not to mention I'm gonna have to start all over (5 year loan). There is no other way to do it. I'm broke when it comes to buying expensive new items. Me and my girlfriend were talking about buying a beater together, so we don't have to drive our newer cars in really bad conditions, but that's about as far as having a second car can go ATM. We haven't established careers yet, so we're still kind of wheelin' and dealin' to get what we want.

03AZRoush said:
xilix...Im in the same exact boat as you. Actually last night I was perusing the vette forums looking at c5's for sale. I found a 50k mile c5 with mods for $16.5! I definitely see a Vette in my future. Id love to get an 01 or 02 Z06 but that might be out of the price range for another year or two. I guess I could work a little harder....haha.

I was just like you. Vettes never really interested me until I actually sat and rode in one. Night and day difference between a Stang and a Vette. Only problem is theres not a lot of younger guys with Vettes so meets would be kinda ghey. Id probably have to hang out with their grand children lol

I don't go to meets, so I don't think it'd be a problem.

03AZRoush said:
xilix - out of curiousity I quoted insurance on an 02 Z06 and a coupe and its just about the same price as my 03 GT. Oh snap....

Yup, there's not too much difference as long as your indurance company is reasonable.

Nick85

Banned
My old roomate had a 98 C5. I was never that impressed with it speed wise but at 35,000 miles his was having no problems.

Get the Corvette and get the Borla X-pipe/Catback for it.

Users who are viewing this thread