I can't get the crossover pipe off

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
My burp plug is beyond repair so I'm trying to remove the crossover pipe. I'm buying a new one.

Does the supercharger snout need to come off? I broke lose a bolt on each side then the bolt and allen bolt thats by the pulley. is there any hidden bolts? I got the pipe to where it'll wiggle back and forth but wont come up when I pull. I pried on it with a breaker bar and it doesnt move. Just wiggles. I'm guessing it has a real tight suction holding it down. Any help is appreciated.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure about extra bolts with terminator setup but mine was a royal mother to get it. A combo if pulling while wiggling and hitting it up with a dead blow finally got it. You'll need to get new Orings to put it back in

Huff035

Established Member
Why not just take the plug out with some vice grips and get a stainless plug? I've only ever removed my crossover without the blower installed so I can't help you there. But I've heard of people using vice grips or even tack welding a nut to the top of the plug to get it off.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Yeah, I sprayed some penetrating lube on the plug and hammered a torx socket into it and got it to come out fairly easily. If I remember correctly, the blower does at least need to be lifted up to get the whole pipe off. WAY more of a PITA than finding a way to get the plug out. And if you're not planning on replacing the whole crossover pipe, you're going to have to get the plug out anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anabolic

Banned
since you're replacing the pipe anyways, or plug..

put vice grips as tight as you can "on the plug only" not the crossover on accident..
then cover that with a towel. and smack the shit with a hammer until it comes off..

as far as the cross over, if you f'd everything up. you dont need to take the snout off. You have to mill the bolt on the passenger side it's to long to tighten/loosen with the coolant lines being there..
It's easiest taking the supercharger out and just loosening them/replacing what you need to

Anabolic

Banned
take pics of how badly you messed up the unit & we'll tell you what to do.

X over with gaskets/seals/ everything is very expensive on these cars.. try to save $ where you can by not replacing parts & talking trying to resolve problems insted

Last edited:

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
^^good idea. i already tried the vice grips and plyers. just eats away at the lip of the plug and slips off. aint anything to grip to now.. thinking the only way is to weld a bolt on it. i'm not sure if my welding machine will do it. i have an old stick welder. how would hold the bolt onto the plug while i weld it?

if i do get it off. hopefully the seal is still good on the crossover tube. it wiggles but still stuck in place. guess i wont know until i fill it back up.

Anabolic

Banned
So you tried the vice grips & the top of the pipe is so messed up you can't grip it, I would say next thing... Hmm
yeah weld a piece on it. get as much coverage as you can while you weld it on.
( don't weld a 1/4" bolt on a 1" dia area) lol

arc weld would probably work better lol, grind a clean surface if you can!

edit: have a friend hold it with a pair of pliars while you tac it?

Last edited:

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
just in case i dont get it off. how much are new seals for the crossover tube and who sells them? which gasket would i need? snout gasket in case i need to remove it?

already have a new hex burp plug with oring on it.

Last edited:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I'd use a nut instead of a bolt. You can weld inside the center of the nut.

hotcobra03

Established Member
just in case i dont get it off. how much are new seals for the crossover tube and who sells them? which gasket would i need? snout gasket in case i need to remove it?

i had used a long pry bar..carefully on bolt bracket

Anabolic

Banned

tousley has o ring gaskets all 4 shipped to my door was like 11 or something, i forgot.It was cheap.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
tousley has o ring gaskets all 4 shipped to my door was like 11 or something, i forgot.It was cheap.

did you have to take the snout or blower off to get the crossover pipe out?

what size is the allen head bolt on the pulley bracket. has to come out on mine to get the bracket of the crossover tube loose.

Anabolic

Banned
I Put my cross over on last, but i have a whipple 2.3, It's easier (and you dont have to mil the cross over hold down screw down), better off pulling the blower out and just taking the pipe out.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
Gonna attempt it later today. My welding machine has a short short cord to plug it in. Gonna try to make it reach. Got about 7 different welding rods but no labels, so I dont know which is for which. What kind of metal is the plug?

Users who are viewing this thread