I cannot hook up radio headunit to save my life

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
ok guys, I can rebuild a car top to bottom but, for some reason I have never in my life been able to install an aftermarket headunit. I find very confusing and seems like another language to me. I bought a pioneer double din and the needed adapters to make it work. I’m stuck with one connector that has 2 ground wires and 2 blue/white wires that say “amp turn-on”. My question is why is there 2 of each? Do all wires get used or just one of each? And then where the hell to do you hook up the “amp turn-on” wire and ground?

This connector is apart of the 70-5701 turbowire kit

Any and all help would be lovely.

MG0h3

Established Member
Lol I'm the same way. I reinstalled an aftermarket head unit that came with my car so luckily the wiring mods were done. Wish I could help you.

Zemedici

Established Member
Hook up both - instructions don’t say anything about double wires? Amp remote on will power the amp when it sees power, ground is to complete the circuit.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Can you post a pic of what you are dealing with?

Are you wiring it to bypass the Mach system (recommended) or are you still utilizing the factory amps. If you bypass all the Mach stuff, you would be using the internal amp on the Pioneer head unit, along with any other amps you may use.

zredfire04

Established Member
the blue wire turns on the amp. since there are two blue wires, you can turn on two amps.

i'm going through a similar headache trying to get a fancy piece installed in my dad's 99 f350. it's a PITA if everything in the truck works right. the backup lights on this one don't work, and i need a reverse signal to turn on the backup camera...so it's an extra large PITA.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Can you post a pic of what you are dealing with?

Are you wiring it to bypass the Mach system (recommended) or are you still utilizing the factory amps. If you bypass all the Mach stuff, you would be using the internal amp on the Pioneer head unit, along with any other amps you may use.
Tried to post a pic but it’s to large. Why is recommend to skip Mach stuff? What’s the alternative?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Alternative is what I mentioned in my post.
You use the internal amp on your Pioneer headunit, and any xternal amps you may want to use for sub etc.

The Mach system amps/speakers are 6 ohm. That's a very unusual setup for car audio, it's usually 4 ohm. With he amps being 6 ohm, you can't simply replace any if the or speakers. The new speakers would cut out at higher volume.

If you use the Pioneer headunit's amp, you can replace all the speakers if you are looking to.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Alternative is what I mentioned in my post.
You use the internal amp on your Pioneer headunit, and any xternal amps you may want to use for sub etc.

The Mach system amps/speakers are 6 ohm. That's a very unusual setup for car audio, it's usually 4 ohm. With he amps being 6 ohm, you can't simply replace any if the or speakers. The new speakers would cut out at higher volume.

If you use the Pioneer headunit's amp, you can replace all the speakers if you are looking to.
Ok I think I get it. Is bypassing the amp easy? Will using the pioneer amp mess with the current speakers? I don’t listen to the radio all that much cause the exhaust is so damn loud so I plan on keeping stock speakers unless they blow out.

R15393

Established Member
Crutchfield has great customer service. Call the tech line 18009559091. They will walk you thru all your issues.

TxCobra76

Established Member
I bought and installed my pioneer double din from crutchfield also. Great service and technical help.
IMG_1687.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Alright. Got everything wired up and only the rear speakers and the tweeters work. Door speakers don’t have any sound coming from them.

I triple checked wiring. Everything is right.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member

KEVINS

Established Member
What was up with the door speakers?
How does the overall system sound?
I'm thinking about installing one also but curious show it sounds with the factory speakers.

ks

Users who are viewing this thread