I am trying to quit smoking

mustangkid05

Established Member
i know there are other threads about this, but i decided i am going to quit smoking cigs. I bought the nicotine gum, and I am on day 2. It is hard I think about them alot lol, but i think that when i am in boot camp the cigs are going to slow me down, not just that there are other reasons. Any tips? well thanks for reading

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Beef jerky. The big sheet kind. It's real tough, and relieves stress ripping it off ,and chewing it. Plus it's the best thing, ever.

It's like one of those stress balls for your jaw.

mustanginky

Established Member
g/l youngin. i quit when i was 21 only to start again in the next few months. i don't smoke at all anymore, but i have replaced it with snuff. try getting chantix, it's expensive but i've heard nothing but good things about it. my dad used it and hasn't smoked in 2 years. he was a 30 year smoker too. he hates not smoking but he's glad he stopped.

CBrowning84

Established Member
I just quit a little over 2 weeks ago. The first 3-4 days were REAL bad.. but after that the cravings went away dramatically. I don't know how it was for anybody else, but that's how it was for me. I never was a heavy smoker too, averaged about 7-8 a day for the past year. Good luck!

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I havent bought a back since 12/31/08 but I still smoke socially if one of my friends gives me a cig. Quitting sucks, I would suggest chewing a lot of gum ( nicorette or even just regular gum) and drinking a lot of bottled water. Keep a bottle of water with you everywhere you go to keep you occupied.

straightliner1

Established Member
I saw this little diddy last night - it ought to sway you one way or the other:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_8BerrJg0M]YouTube - Thanks, Tobacco: You Killed My Mom[/ame]

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I quit 8-27-08 the day I had my bad motorcycle wreck. I was in the hospital for a week. I couldn't walk for 2 months. My wife didn't like me smoking so she wouldn't go get me any. After about 3 weeks the desire went away. It took 3 months for me to forget about smoking.

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
i'm on day three myself.. cold turkey though... i've pulled this off in the past for months on end without gum or patches. it almost seems easier now. it's a competition with a buddy of mine. he's going on day 8 or 9. i'm trying not to think about them at all right now.. but even as i type this. i don't really wanna smoke one.

SoonToBeASnake

Established Member
I'm on day five and I can't stop thinking about lighting up a cigarrette :lol: good luck to you, I went cold turkey, I'm considering some kind of nicotine gum.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
My cousin quit smoking while in Iraq. He just didn't feel the need for them anymore. I guess that's one way war can help you.

Anyways, two of my friends are trying to quit after smoking for 10 years+. They've been pretty successful with just gum so far. One buys nicotine gum and the other just chews regular gum like a horse when he has the urge to smoke.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
Im about 2 monthsfrom not smoking.. Never thought it would be as hard as people said it would be. I still find myself craving them, but ive been able to breathe a lot better since i quit. I didnt really use anything other then different brands to help limit how much i smoke.. I smoked American Spirits which are natural but a lot stronger, so Id' end up smoking less, and eventually nothing at all.. Things to think about are, how much were you spending a year on smoking, then think about how much you are saving, and where you can spend that money elsewhere. I was spending about $1700 on smokes a year.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Im about 2 monthsfrom not smoking.. Never thought it would be as hard as people said it would be. I still find myself craving them, but ive been able to breathe a lot better since i quit. I didnt really use anything other then different brands to help limit how much i smoke.. I smoked American Spirits which are natural but a lot stronger, so Id' end up smoking less, and eventually nothing at all.. Things to think about are, how much were you spending a year on smoking, then think about how much you are saving, and where you can spend that money elsewhere. I was spending about $1700 on smokes a year.

I did the math this morning I've saved about $85 since 1/1/09:banana:

hoamskilet

Established Member
Every time you have a craving, stop and think about all the positives of not smoking:

1) You won't smell like Bigfoot's dick anymore
2) Your lady won't have to taste your god awful nasty breath when you kiss her
3) Your lungs will thank you greatly, especially when you're in boot camp
4) You have all that extra money to put towards goodies for your car

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I saw this little diddy last night - it ought to sway you one way or the other:

YouTube - Thanks, Tobacco: You Killed My Mom

that is very sad .,., too bad it happens so often.,

my mother-in-law lived with us about a year before going through the same thing., even though it wasn't my mom,., we were close.,.,
I smoked for a couple of years in high school.,., I quit cold turkey., and thank God for it., good luck with quiting
Rob

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
It's simple, everytime you start to light up just use the lighter on your wrist first. If you still need to smoke than your tougher than I.

I don't smoke but I'm dealing with it right now. My boss is going through chemo/radiation for throat cancer, if it doesn't work then he gets it removed and a new voice box.
Pretty good motivation IMO. Good luck quiting. :)

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
If you really want to quit, you will just stop smoking, no gum or other medicine will be needed. I qiut cold turkey 385 days ago after smoking for 20 years. Good luck.

mustangkid05

Established Member
thanks for the info guys, the gum seems to really work. I would always smoke after every meal no matter what I ate, and now i chew the gum and it seems to do the trick

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
I quit smoke cold turkey for two years. I was smoking at least 2 packs of unfiltered lucky's a day and now I smoke "socially". But when I did quit I would eat an orange every time I had a craving. Killed it almost instantly. Health and worth a shot if your desperate. Good luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread