I am stumped! 351w roller

bakenaz

I think I searched the entire internet. I have a 351w Roller block. The casting number is a little weird. It is located in the correct place but here is what is says:
F E 6015-AA-12. THE 2ND AND 3RD CHARACTERS ARE NOT IN THE CAST! I assume the missing characters are "4T." The characters were not ground off. They were just not cast into the block. Could this be a Ford replacement block or warranty bock or something???? The spider tray hold down holes are there and threaded. Any insight would be great.

bakenaz

I actually bought the motor as a long block package. Just trying to find out why the 2 characters are missing. Maybe a marine block?

99BOSS

Established Member
Supposedly the Lightnings used a marine block and cam. I remember reading that in my Ford archives. Everyone says roller blocks started on the 94s but several 93 trucks had them as well. I remember being a member of NLOC and a lot of people checked their blocks on 93 trucks to find a roller block. I never checked mine though. There was a letter cast into the block by the starter but I cant remember what it was.

bakenaz

Here's the casting number. Also has odd circles cast into it. Lifter valley has machined lifter bores and threaded spider tray hold down.
351RollerBack.jpg

351RollerCasting.gif

351wFront.jpg

hotrod93

Established Member
The 93 Lightning I used to own was truck #1576 and it had a roller ready block. That is interesting that 2 digits are missing in the casting number.

99BOSS

Established Member
The R in the VIN just means its a 5.8 HO or Lightning engine as opposed to reg 5.8. It didnt automatically mean a roller block. All 94s and 95s were rollers and a lot of the 93s were too.

turbosvt93

Established Member
Both my 93s are roller ready. To it looks like the two were not cast in to it. Thats weird, mine you can read easliy. I wouldnt be worried about it, as along as the block is in good shape.

Also both of mine have the odd circles in them

evelynz8735

I think I searched the entire internet. I have a 351w Roller block. The casting number is a little weird. It is located in the correct place but here is what is says:
F E 6015-AA-12. THE 2ND AND 3RD CHARACTERS ARE NOT IN THE CAST! I assume the missing characters are "4T." The characters were not ground off. They were just not cast into the block. Could this be a Ford replacement block or warranty bock or something???? The spider tray hold down holes are there and threaded. Any insight would be great.

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

:shrug::??::rolling:

mike460

NDFS Numero Uno
Established Member
Whats the benefit of roller lifters/block over solid lifters?

I know this is like 2 months old - but at any rate:

The roller ready blocks allow you to set up a hydraulic roller cam just like the 5.0 Mustangs inexpensively. You can purchase the stock roller lifters (cheap) the factory type lifter spider (cheap) and any 5.0 hydraulic roller cam (depending on whether you are SD or MA will determine what size cam you can use). Without the roller ready block, you either can do a factory spider and factory lifters with a reduced base circle camshaft (can be expensive) or do retrofit rollers (hella expensive) with a factory type cam.

Also, roller lifters do not require high levels of ZDDP like flat lifters do, and they are reusable. Some will argue there is more power to be had (I believe it, obviously less resistance to turning on the camshaft).

oilwell1415

Established Member
Ford replacement castings have been known to have missing digits in the casting numbers for decades, it just depends on what you get. The numbers indicate the first year it was intended for production use, but a replacement part isn't for production use, so the numbers are incomplete. Or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread