I am so Freaking Pi$$ed off right now!

Russtang

Established Member
OK, I was planning to join the ranks of you 03 Cobra owners tonight when I got a message on my voicemail.

I called the internet service manager back & he told me that the car that we had made a verbal agreement on, sold to someone else last night! :mj:

I had found it on the internet & was planning on driving the 400 miles down to southern CA this morning to sign the papers. He assured me Wednesday after sending in the credit app that he "parked it out back" and that there was no possible way the car wasn't going to me. The internet sales manager had already called my credit union & straightened out all the details. I'm holding a $10k cashiers check right now that is made out to the dealership! Had there been any doubt in my mind, I would have taken the day off & flown down there.

He had the day off yesterday & they supposedly sold it to a guy from "up north" (50 miles north) that had been dealing with the manager a couple weeks ago. What sucks is that I got them down to $28,400 on a stock 2,200 mile coupe with a 6 year/75,000 mile drivetrain warranty! I haven't found too many in that mileage/price range (definitely not from a dealership...and none in CA).

My guess is that someone came along with a better offer (for them).

I've pretty much ruled out any chance of any kind of legal action. I only have a few voicemails saved saying "I'll see you on Friday when you come get the car". Nothing in writing agreeing to our price, etc... I'm sure the lawyers fees would negate any "deal" I had gotten on the car.

It just pisses me off that this happened & I needed to vent. :cryying: I guess I'm more pissed off at myself for trusting a car salesman.

To "make up for it", the manager has offered to get me a new coupe at invoice ($32,695?).

So, what should I do? A new CA car at invoice is pretty much unheard of. They're still asking $4500 over MSRP at the dealership in Sacramento. Are dealers getting incentives from Ford to push the Cobra yet? If so, I don't want the dealer to make a profit off me at all! I would be paying over $4000 more for 2200 miles less than the other car with less than a warranty. It would be "new" though.

You think I could get an extended warranty (drivetrain or bumper-bumper) out of the deal?

I'd appreciate any and all of your opinions on these questions. I'm feeling better now... :rollseyes

Thanks,
Russ

Well, I live in Oceanside, or near Oceanside, so Im close to Heller Ford (SVT Dealership) I go down there to look for new Cobras every weekend or so, and Id be happy to let ya know when they get a new one in man

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I knew someone who drove 400 miles for a used car and it was sold late the night before. Was told he would hold it for him blah blah. Same story. They'll sell it if they get half a chance, it's their job.

97whitecobra

Established Member
Wow, thats HORRIBLE, sounds just like "dealer" car sales though. Sorry no suggestions but good luck. I'm sure in some way you'll be happy in the end and it'll work out.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
sorry to hear about your problems - that really sucks. :??:

i'd jump on the "new for invoice" deal. you're right, prices for a new 03 have been outrageous here in ca - the 4500 above msrp seems to be the average going rate. i ended up paying msrp but i saw a dealership trying to pass their single 03 coupe off for 8k over msrp. :eek:

if you're still looking for one in socal, try fairway ford in placentia, fritts ford in riverside, and fairview ford in san bernardino. they don't seem to mark them up quite as high.

-allan

MightyMo

Established Member
I would be pretty upset too! Likely voice my issues on the feedback form FORD will send you. The forms are like a report card for the dealership.

For the time being.. sit back and let the dealership work for you and just when they think they have a sale lined up, turn the tide and and go elsewhere for your ride. Be patient, the best things are to be had that way..
eye for an eye

getting a new Cobra at invoice.. maybe sweeten the pot..
throw in a set of chrome rims or do the mystichrome thing for next years model..

good luck..
plan for failure ! feels better when everything works out..

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by Russtang
<snipped> To "make up for it", the manager has offered to get me a new coupe at invoice ($32,695?)

This from a dealership in CA?

I'd jump on it.

JMHO

Pyro

Established Member
Try Chino Hills Ford in Chino Hills... south of Pomona and North of Corona. Ask for Willy. He's the SVT Guru and has the 03 featured in last months MM&FF that Kenne Bell was working on. He's the MAN and can make you a deal. They still have a few in the showroom as of last week.

Russtang

Established Member
Thanks for the consolation guys. I really needed to vent!

I'm still going down there this weekend...maybe today, maybe tomorrow. I'm going to pick up the rest of the family from the in-laws. Probably not coming back with a new addition though. :(

I don't know though. Invoice is pretty tempting...

Russ

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
no tickey no laundry. You need to understand how many customers "promise" to buy something. All you needed to do was to make a credit card deposit(even 500 is plenty) to officially secure the car. Deposits are refundable, i use them all the time to actually hold the car, or just to see if the customer is for real. Id deffinately jump on the invoice cobra, just make them fax you something in writing and you can put a 100 dollar credit card "deposit" on it so you should then be safe to make the exodus down there. Just make sure the deal is "clean" i.e. no excessive rates on the loan or adding in any gg tax, freight, ect.:thumbsup:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
also, you snooze, you loose. If you want one, dont wait a minute on an invoice offer. the car will usually cost within 500 bucks of the other one with used-car loan rates. I have a list of people "thinking about it" now S.O.L on mustangs now that production has ended. We have 3 gt's left and two coupes on the way that wont make the sales floor.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Same thing happened to me. I spoke with a salesman in Chattanooga TN and worked out a deal for a Redfire Coupe. Took the day off from work and drove the 250 miles North. While my wife and I were sitting IN THE DEALERSHIP filling out the paperwork on my trade-in a guy walked up and handed a different salesman $1000 to hold the car for him! I was pissed to say the least! The guy who got my Redfire out from under me is even a member of this board! I don't hold it against him though... I ended up driving my OX White snake out the door a few hours later... I learned a very important lesson... GIVE THEM A DEPOSIT IF YOU ARE SERIOUS! That's a legal binder...

U.M.

Russtang

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
no tickey no laundry. You need to understand how many customers "promise" to buy something. All you needed to do was to make a credit card deposit(even 500 is plenty) to officially secure the car. Deposits are refundable, i use them all the time to actually hold the car, or just to see if the customer is for real. Id deffinately jump on the invoice cobra, just make them fax you something in writing and you can put a 100 dollar credit card "deposit" on it so you should then be safe to make the exodus down there. Just make sure the deal is "clean" i.e. no excessive rates on the loan or adding in any gg tax, freight, ect.:thumbsup:

OMG, you are so correct. In fact I tried to put down a deposit & get something faxed to me a couple times from him. I even offered to sign a contract on the car sight unseen. He just told me not to worry about it, the car was mine. I guess I should have tried harder. :(

Going to call him right now & get the details on the new cobra pricing.

Russ

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by Russtang
OMG, you are so correct. In fact I tried to put down a deposit & get something faxed to me a couple times from him. I even offered to sign a contract on the car sight unseen. He just told me not to worry about it, the car was mine. I guess I should have tried harder. :(

Going to call him right now & get the details on the new cobra pricing.

Russ

talk to the general sales manager as well;-)

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Russ, if you can get an X Pin plan number, I know of three dealers in CA that will honor the X plan in a Cobra. If not you can get a really good discount. The dealer I bought mine from have seven in stock. The dealerships in Sac. suck big time. PM me, and I will give you the info.

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
hey russ...
does that price offered to you include the $1000 gas guzzler tax??? and what color are you looking for???

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Fuller Ford In Chula Vista ( Suburb of San Diego ) has about 3, 1White, 1Grey, and 1Conv Redfire on the Showroom floor.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Im not totally sure that is the invoice price, especially when we have had a dealer in S. Fla. advertising them for 31,995, something doesnt add up. But one thing is for sure that dealer you had, found someone who would pay more for the car, and you can take that to the bank. BTW Im sorry it happened to ya, could have been worse if you had gone the 400 miles and then found out. Keep lookin there are some good deals out there to be had:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread