I am so bummed...

smokey

Established Member
Forgive me, but I'm not sure I'm understanding the extent and/or significance of the problem your dog was having and why that meant you had to give him away to the pound.

If she was constantly escaping, I know for a fact there are trainers that can help you with the problems. I'm sorry but after reading and watching a lot of TV regarding dogs and their psycholgical behavior, I'm convinced that any problems they have are a direct result of their owners behavior. So if she was skittish, then there's a good chance you and your roomates/people who were living with you were very anxious and emotional all the time and it didn't give your dog a sense of calmness. I just hate to see an owner give up a dog to the pound, where it will probably get euthanized. Such a drastic step IMO.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Get a dog, neglect proper training, get rid of the dog instead of fixing the problem... and now its going to be killed... for your continued incompetance.
I'm sorry, I know this isn't smack down so I am trying to be civil about this.

I am really dissapointed to see something like this. Please, do us all a favor and stay away from animals and taking responsibility for anything other than yourself.

ak_sn8k01

sparky is hot (o)(o)
Established Member
...sorry but not too much sympathy here as well.

I hate to see animals wind up at the pound.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This is just another of the 99% of the people that get pets and don't realize how much work you have to put into them. Pets (dogs, cats) are like children. If you don't teach them right from wrong, they will never learn it on their own.

-Jeff

freebass55

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
This is just another of the 99% of the people that get pets and don't realize how much work you have to put into them. Pets (dogs, cats) are like children. If you don't teach them right from wrong, they will never learn it on their own.

-Jeff

I have had pets my whole life and this is the first that has been this way. Once again I will not defend my actions. I made a mistake in taking her down there. I admit it. I am going to pick her back up. I was not happy about it in the first place. The question I am now asking is what can be done differently? She has been treated like every other animal I have ever had. And they were all great animals.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You just have to find a way to show her that what she is oing is wrong. maybe put something on the screen that the dog doesn't like. There are ways to work it out. I am sure someone on here will know the exact answer. Or try some Pet message boards.

-Jeff

2003 Silver

Banned
Get a piece of plexi-glass and screw it into the screen door frame to cover the screen....get the appropriate height etc. Buy "Bitter Apple"....it is a spray deterent that you give them a couple of squirts with immediately after unapproved behavior etc. It is harmless to the dogs and environment and really works to control/change behavior, but must be used consistently.

Good luck...glad you took her back!

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
The first thing you need to do is realize that you volunteered to take on the resposibility of owning that dog. It may be a PITA sometimes but that's tough shit.

First you should start eliminating ways for the dog to be a PITA. If she's going through screen doors then don't use screen doors anymore. If the house is hot get a damn fan or turn on the AC.

If the dog is tearing shit up in the house they have these things called cages that you can put the dog in while you're away.

There are always ways to control behavior either by training or a change in the environment.

If the dog is sick and needs meds for the rest of its life then that is your responsibility as well. If they're expensive then that again is tough shit. Sell your nice new car and drive a beater.

I really hate people...

The fact that gave up and took it to the pound at all makes me dislike you by default.

smokey

Established Member
freebass55 said:
Maybe you guys are right maybe I was a bad owner. What could I have done different? She always got attention and was being played with, bathed, taken care of. I dunno what else I could have done.

BTW, this has been eating me up for a couple of days, and thought it would make me feel better to get this out in the open. It hasn't. I just called the pound and am going to pick her back up today. What can I do different?

Well first and foremost, you need to establish dominance over the dog and instill a sense of calmness to it emotionally. It's not acting badly for no reason at all..obviously in those instances, it is misbehaving because it thinks it can and you have allowed it to do that.

I still don't understand what the problem is - she broke through a screen door a few times and escaped. Is that seriously it? Or is it anxiety seperation issues when you're gone? Once again, is that it? Both can be dealt with through training - if you've gone and seen trainers, either they are not doing their job well, or you are personally not following up on their advice.

And note to you, its a dog - not a baby. Showering it with constant attention and giving it zero boundries is NOT the way to deal with a dog, no matter how cute and loveable they are.

Watch the "Dog Whisperer" sometime and notice how he deals with any dog he comes across. Every dog that has problems, he can fix within a matter of minutes by establishing who's in control. It's a very educational show and it will give you a lot of tips on how to deal with these types of issues.

Sorry, you obviously got all us dog owners in an uproar with your ridiculously quick action of taking the dog to the pound. I'm glad you're going to rectify that by picking her back up, but do yourself and your dog a favor and train (both of you)!

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
I have a suggestion , watch a show called " the dog whisperer " That guy shows you how to tame or cure any problem.

2003 Silver

Banned
Something to live by with dogs....."Dogs aren't just for Christmas morning..."
Once trained correctly...your dog will show more devotion and love to you than even your mate.

Nucking Futs

Established Member
I will NEVER understand why people do this to an animal. Unless it is being aggressive towards people then that is the only reason I can see to have a dog put down.

My little Shih-Tzu Tisha died in my lap after having her for a little over thirteen years a few months back. That was one of the most painful experiences I have ever went through.

I don't think you need a better dog I think the dog needs a better owner.

I apologize for sounding like an ass and I am a little hyper-sensitive when it comes to dogs I can't help it.

freebass55

Established Member

I just looked at the dog whisperer's web site and purchased his book. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Good deal. If you really care for her, you will get it worked out. :beer:

UCBeau

Good job on going back and getting the dog, my pup was a handful at first but we trained her right and have been rewarded with 12 years of the best dog on the planet. I wouldn't give her up for the world and can barely imagine when she gets too old to life pain free.

Users who are viewing this thread