hypothetical stop light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
Kinda intend this question for LEO's but...anybodys opinions could be atleast entertaining...

Lately I've spent some time at stop lights thinking about how much time I've spent sitting at stop lights thinking...and I came to the realization that I've wasted alot of my life that I'll never get back sitting at a stop light watching no cars go thru the intersection later in the evening or on a slow saturday afternoon... I got to thinking, why should I sit here and watch this obviously empty intersection. Now I realize the stop lights are there for a reason and I should obey them, hell, when there is any traffic I couldn't be happier to sit there and wait my turn because the light will usually make the intersection quicker for everyone in general...plus there is that whole public safety thing...
Now here is the hypothetical...You(LEO) are out doing what ever it is you do on a street partol or what ever...its say 10:30pm on a tuesday night and you observe a vehicle that doesn't jump out at you for any reason...no broken taillights...doesn't seem out of place for the area...basically the only thing this vehicle does is pull up to a redlight that has just chaged, stop and then procede thru the intersection. There is no opposing traffic and there isn't any in view to you or to him. What would you do? I understand that technically he ran the light and probably should have a failure to stop ticket coming but given the situation what would probably happen.
Warning if hes not a jackass when you pull him over and there isn't anything else that comes up in the course of your encounter...Ticket anyway...or just let him go?

I ask because well, in my mind, there isn't/shouldn't be anything wrong with those actions as I described them...provided its obvious that there is no traffic approaching the intersection and there is a clear view for a long(30sec driving at posted speed limit) way in any direction at the intersection.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Good question. I am quity on a few occasions of this. I drive from NC to WI at least once a year, it's a streight 20 hour drive. And alot of times, 2, 3, 4am on some interstate that goes through some town, or high way I'm on, I'll stop at a red light, and sit thier for 3 or 4 mins. Not see one vehical on either road. I've driven though befor the green on more then one occasion. And every time I'm scarred shitless that a LEO has spooted me, and I regret crossing. I have not bean pulled over for it yet. But given what you said, I wonder what most LEO's would do.

I have a feeling, that as long as your not a dick when you get pulled over, and if you stoped, waited, looked, then crossed. he would deff give you a warning, but I'm not sure that he/she would right you a ticket. All depends on the LEO and the driver I bet.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Negative, no exceptions unless you have a valid emergency (life or death) and no "Officer I have to go to the bathroom," is not an emergency. You earned yourself a ticket on that one. Cut and Dry!!!

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Hmm, to me it would all depend on the driver/passengers and what part of town it is. But a traffic stop would definitely be in order.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
For some reason, I've always felt like rolling through a stoplight deliberately was more serious than speeding and without extreme caution, I guess it could be. However, both carry about the same penalty. If you get caught, you get the ticket with either in most cases. Make no mistake, I'm not an advocate for doing this and I do not recall ever deliberately going through a redlight unless the light went through several cycles with an obvious malfunction. This seems to happen most often on protected left hand turns for whatever reason and its usually the same traffic response. Some people get out of line and go straight through and then make a U down the road. Others wait for the opposing lane to make their turn and then proceed, however some lights give green to both straight and left turn so that can be tricky.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
I believe in some states you can proceed through the intersection after coming to a complete stop when there is no cross traffic present, as if it were a stop sign. I don't remember which state allowed this, or if it was just a proposed change I read about somewhere. It may have been Ohio, Florida, or Maryland as those are the states I've lived in. It's like a "left on red", some states allow a left on red from a one way to a one way and others don't.

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
WraithCobra said:
I believe in some states you can proceed through the intersection after coming to a complete stop when there is no cross traffic present, as if it were a stop sign. I don't remember which state allowed this, or if it was just a proposed change I read about somewhere. It may have been Ohio, Florida, or Maryland as those are the states I've lived in. It's like a "left on red", some states allow a left on red from a one way to a one way and others don't.

That would make sense...however that could open the door to bad judgement causing a wreck...which is probably why its not really allowed...

I just hate to sit at empty intersections and waste my time waiting for nothing you figure if that practice saves you 5mins a day that works out to 30 hours a year that you spend do anything else more productive...even if i get one ticket a year its still worth it to me cause i value my time.

I guess i just don't understand how you guys can just be "...Ticket no exceptions..." Don't take that the wrong way either, i under stand that its your job to enforce the laws and i understand that its the law but i've seen many other examples here were LEO's appear more than willing to exercise discretion(I guess). I really don't understand the big deal it, its not as though I'm talking about flatout running the light with out even slowing down, i'm talking about stoping and observing that the intersection is clear and will be for quite some time. I don't think i'm being completely niave either, i would expect to at least get stoped if a LEO saw me do it because it is suspicius behavior, but to be honest would be alittle surprised and pissed to get a ticket, given the described situation. I'm not trying to start a fight and i certainly mean no disrespect.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
8616v said:
That would make sense...however that could open the door to bad judgement causing a wreck...which is probably why its not really allowed...

I just hate to sit at empty intersections and waste my time waiting for nothing you figure if that practice saves you 5mins a day that works out to 30 hours a year that you spend do anything else more productive...even if i get one ticket a year its still worth it to me cause i value my time.

I guess i just don't understand how you guys can just be "...Ticket no exceptions..." Don't take that the wrong way either, i under stand that its your job to enforce the laws and i understand that its the law but i've seen many other examples here were LEO's appear more than willing to exercise discretion(I guess). I really don't understand the big deal it, its not as though I'm talking about flatout running the light with out even slowing down, i'm talking about stoping and observing that the intersection is clear and will be for quite some time. I don't think i'm being completely niave either, i would expect to at least get stoped if a LEO saw me do it because it is suspicius behavior, but to be honest would be alittle surprised and pissed to get a ticket, given the described situation. I'm not trying to start a fight and i certainly mean no disrespect.

Again discretion is granted by the dept/agency. That authority gives their officers guidelines where discretion can be used and where it cant. Here in Tampa we have a very large problem with people running red lights and they have basically a zero tolerance for it because of the terrible accidents that ensue.

If you are sitting at a red light and cant wait, make a right on red and find another way.

I have run into this type of problem on my M/C in the early hours because it wont trigger the sensor and I can be stuck at red for a while. I either turn around or make a right on red and proceed.

Please dont use this forum for asking hypotheticals so you can get absolution of your intended wrong deeds.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I have run into this type of problem on my M/C in the early hours because it wont trigger the sensor and I can be stuck at red for a while. I either turn around or make a right on red and proceed.
Now I remember what I was thinking about. It was a change in Florida that allowed motorcycles to proceed with caution thru an intersection, after a complete stop at a red light that would not change to green due to the sensor.

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Please dont use this forum for asking hypotheticals so you can get absolution of your intended wrong deeds.

I'm not trying to get absolution for anything, it isn't as though i would think any ticket given was wrong or inappropriate. This was intended as more a sounding board to get a general idea of LEO's opinion on this particular action...to perhaps spark a debat(i'm not sure if thats really the word i should use cause this isn't really a debatable issue but...)about why this isn't viewed to be any different than just blowing the light with out even taping the brakes, cause i guess thats my real hang up about this whole thing. Believe me i'm not trying to say running red lights is even ok 'cause that whole "the lights yellow that means go faster to make it even though i know full well the light will be red by the time i get there" additude really pisses me off.

WraithCobra said:
Now I remember what I was thinking about. It was a change in Florida that allowed motorcycles to proceed with caution thru an intersection, after a complete stop at a red light that would not change to green due to the sensor.

For the sake of argument, why is it ok for a motorcycle to do this but not a car or truck, the motorcycle rider is puting him self in much more danger and any oncoming traffic in about the same amount of danger.

If i can't get a better answer to this than "because its the law and you should obey it or be prepared to suffer the consiquenses" fine. I guess i'll just have to accept it and press on with life.

Last edited:

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
8616v said:
For the sake of argument, why is it ok for a motorcycle to do this but not a car or truck, the motorcycle rider is puting him self in much more danger and any oncoming traffic in about the same amount of danger.
The lights with sensors would not change when a motorcycle was waiting, and it's no more dangerous than a stop sign with active cross traffic. A car can wait a minute for the light to cycle since it will trip the sensor, you can't expect a motorcycle to sit there for however long and wait for a car to show up in the middle of the night so the light turns green.
In Florida it's also illegal to circumvent a traffic control device. So although a right on red followed by a u-turn and a right on green are legal actions separately, they are illegal if done to bypass a red light.
I didn't have a problem when I was in uniform down there, jungle boots had metal in the sole which worked when placed across the sensor. Had to do that allot on lights with sensors in the turn lanes.

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
ok, but here the vast majority of the lights are timed with out sensors, that is where this comes from, if the lights had sensors and would change the pattern to let the side streets go out of cycle i wouldn't have anything to bitch about because the wait at an empty intersection wouldn't be half as long. There are lights in my area that if you catch them wrong you will wait for(and i'm not exagerating i've timed it...)8 min before the main road gets a red light and the side streets can go, this pattern doesn't change based on the time of day, its always the same. This is on a road that gets alot of traffic during peak travel times but at 10pm its pretty deserted, it isn't uncommon to sit at the 8min light and see 3 or 4 cars in that time period.

Last edited:

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
Virginia Law: Along with right after stop, LEFT after stop from a one way to a one way legal...STRAIGHT THRU after stop...DING! DING! DING! Officer Steve, tell the man what he's won! Right Bob! He's won a BRAND NEW CITATION!

WDW MKR

Established Member
8616v said:

We've all been stuck at a long red light and become frustrated, but do you really think your 5mins are that much more important than anyone elses? Just wake up 5mins earlier everyday! :lol1:

stocksvtcontour

Established Member
I sometimes stop at a red light and see there is no traffic and go but only in downtown detroit in the middle of the night.

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
We've all been stuck at a long red light and become frustrated, but do you really think your 5mins are that much more important than anyone elses? Just wake up 5mins earlier everyday! :lol1:

I apparently value my time more than you value yours...but that isn't what this is about, I want to know why this is viewd as no different than just blowing the light by LEO's. Because in my (ignorant)mind this seems like a perfectly safe and reasonable thing to do...albeit technically illegal...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread