Hypereutectic Piston

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
03/04 cobras have forged pistons. Crappy, but they are forged not hyper what ever.

XtremeAceX

Established Member
the Hypereutectic ones are the forged aluminum/silicone alloy ones, generally with the teflon pads on the major and minor thrust sides to reduce friction from the connecting rod geometry.. any idea if these are the ones that are used? or just forged pistons?

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
the Hypereutectic ones are the forged aluminum/silicone alloy ones, generally with the teflon pads on the major and minor thrust sides to reduce friction from the connecting rod geometry.. any idea if these are the ones that are used? or just forged pistons?

Forged Zollner pistons, not that "crappy". Unless you're planning on having an all out drag car, the stockers are plenty strong. :rockon:

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Precisely, the stockers are heavy slugs but plenty strong... thats the only negative aspect i can come up with. Less weight is always a plus on these beefy ponys.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Precisely, the stockers are heavy slugs but plenty strong... thats the only negative aspect i can come up with. Less weight is always a plus on these beefy ponys.
Don't forget about tight PTW (piston to wall) tolerances. I consider that a big negative, especially if you have any thoughts about a top end run.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
just curious if my snake came with hypereutectic pistons. i seem to be getting mixed answers from elsewhere, sources appreciated.

03 and 04 cobras have forged pistons, not hypereutectic. prior year cobras have the hypereutectic pistons. Forged pistons in the 03-04 cobras are great for high power applications. Hypereutectic pistons should be limited to around 425 rwhp.

XtremeAceX

Established Member
the hypereutectics are forged, rather than cast, of a silicone/aluminum alloy. at least the ones that i have had experience with as far as i know ..

and from what i was told, my dad used the hypereutectics in his drag car with about 925hp to the wheels, so im not sure about the limitations on them

Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
^^^ i don't know where you heard that, better talk to Dad. Yea Forged zollner pistons 4032 alloy what we have stock w anti friction skirts. They are setup tight but give them a few 1000's mi they will do better imo. A normal 4" bore is set around 3 to 4 thousands w forged pistons. a hyper or cast is set sround 1.5 thousands. Reason is a lot of cast have a steel insert. But they are brittle, I broke several skirts on a 428 w over rev. Usually I don't quote this but it explains easier than I want to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston

bodabdan

Brute Force and Ignorance
Established Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that one of the best benefits of hypereutectic pistons was that they had a better "self-lubricating" property that made them preferred for high piston speed applications such as stroker motors? I've always heard that hypereutectic pistons are only recommended in a NA motor.
If what I have always heard is correct, then we should have forged pistons in the Cobras.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Hypers are better for that person that starts their car and takes off within a few sec. Im not at all saying its a good thing.

With forged pistons you gotta let them warm up for quite a few minutes.If you just take off and get on the throttle too much when its cold your asking for trouble.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
omg, this thread is full of just the dumbest shit I've seen in a long time.

:lol:

I would say our stock pistons are ANYTHING but crappy. We got a hell of a stout motor in these cars. How many 600+rwhp 03/04's are roaming the streets on stock internal?????

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that one of the best benefits of hypereutectic pistons was that they had a better "self-lubricating" property that made them preferred for high piston speed applications such as stroker motors? I've always heard that hypereutectic pistons are only recommended in a NA motor.
If what I have always heard is correct, then we should have forged pistons in the Cobras.
The difference is in the thermal expansion properties. Hypercrapola pistins expand very little between cold and hot vs Forged pistons. Ford used them because cold, they sealed very well so emissions and fuel economy was more consistent from a cold start to operating temperature.

The main problem with them is that they are more brittle and so dislike detonation much more so than forged pistons do. With a supercharger, they are more prone to breaking a skirt, and since Ford was interested in keeping the stock 03-04 engine together for at least 36,000 miles, they went forged. But not the best pistons and connecting rods, just good enough to last longer than the warranty. After all, Quality is job 1, but Cost is job 0.95.

XtremeAceX

Established Member
Killer, thanks everyone who able to help me out in gathering the information I was lookin for.

And thanks Snakebit, you definately seem to know what your talking about.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
To be fair, it should be noted that the 2 major problems with stock Terminator pistons are:

1) Very shallow compression ring, high up on the piston, creating a thin piston land, prone to breakage. This is done 100% for emissions reasons, as a deeper ring and land leaves more dead space which traps air/fuel that doesn't get ignited.

2) The tight piston/cylinder clearance, which has been explained several ways, including preventing piston slap when cold and limiting blowby for emissions reasons.

I think it is unfair to say that Ford put in marginal pistons. They are appropriate for stock and even heavily modified motors. I am certain that the vast majority of piston failures are because of tuning or A/F problems on modified cars. If you're going to extreme twin screw levels of boost or playing near the edge with tuning, you should expect to install sturdier pistons if you don't want to experience a failure- just like on any other production engine.

Users who are viewing this thread