Hydrolic Lifters "deflating"? Anyone had this happen

ogc

Established Member
I had an open lapping day this weekend, and the car was doing well except on my last lap of the day, about half way through I started getting a loud tick that was RPM dependant.

Anyways I slowed down drove into the pits and the tick went away.

All I could come up with was that some how one of the lifters must have lost pressure or something?

Anyone have any other idea what it might have been? Oil starvation maybe? It seems fine now and hasn't acted up since. Just a little worried about it.

Toasty

Established Member
The Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters sometimes go bad, or get bled down in the short term.

They arent a massive job to replace if indeed they do need replacing. Pull a valve cover, set the intake or exhaust cam to base circle for the hvla you are replacing, pull out the cam follower, and swap in the new hvla, insert the cam follower. Rinse and repeat for any marginal hvla's in your heads.

ogc

Established Member
The Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters sometimes go bad, or get bled down in the short term.

So likely it just got bled down then... Ok cool, if it happens again I suppose I'll look into replacing them.

Thanks

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Thing is that they shouldn't bleed down while running.

Possible it starved for oil for a minute.

Are you running the stock oil pan set up and how much oil are you running for open track days?

ogc

Established Member
Thing is that they shouldn't bleed down while running.

Possible it starved for oil for a minute.

Are you running the stock oil pan set up and how much oil are you running for open track days?

I figured starved for oil honestly...

Yes stock oil pan, and I had the shop change my oil so Im assuming they put in 5.6-6 litres...

I know the motor can hold more? Should I be putting in more like 6.5?

ogc

Established Member
Litre= 1.05 QTs IIRC

I ran 6.5 under normal every day conditions,

7 for open tracking.

Yah I knew I had read something like that on here before about the heads taking alot of oil when they get running...

And that is really what sounded like what happened.

I took two high speed right handers and then it was ticking loudly. Slowed down and it was fine within 15 - 20 seconds..

I'll be sure to run at least 6.5 litres from now on.

Thanks for the help,

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
sounds like oil starvation to me. at mustang week, i saw some cobras on the speedway puffing and making some noises when they were rolling through the turns. oil starvation problems for sure.

ogc

Established Member
Just called the shop, he said he put in 6 litres, then started apologizing profusely for forgetting to do more.

He is pricing out a Canton pan and pickup as I type this... It wont be happening again

ogc

Established Member
looks like my oil was down a little bit too, I added another 3/4 of a litre to be safe. Im just hoping that didnt do any permanent damage.

Users who are viewing this thread