Hydro dipped some pieces

Black 2000

Boss Hoss
Established Member
Well after having the stock rubber elbow, then I went with the K&N elbow, then with a C&L elbow which I polished up real nice but wasn't happy with the casting imperfections still showing. I had decided to try and smooth out the K&N elbow which had come with the raised "K&N" logo on it. So I started on the raised letters with a dremel tool and then sanded down the rest with several grits of sand paper to get it as smooth as possible. Next I sprayed it with a primer/filler and a base coat then a couple of coats of gloss black and clear coated it. Looked good but wasn't that great looking. So after much consideration about how "fake" most dips look I decided to reach out to Grant Holland at Liquid Illusion Custom Coatings https://www.facebook.com/liquidillusioncoatings/ and see what he could do. I must say I am really impressed with how it has turned out. From the pics I have seen of the K&N elbow it really looks like a nice custom piece.

IMG_20160720_132748_zpsvxqrprjp.jpg

I also sent Grant my interior door handle trim pieces to see what a sonic blue carbon fiber pattern would look like.

IMG_20160720_132843_zpsiymim0o4.jpg

Full review to come once I have the parts in hand and back on the truck. But from the pics I am really happy and I know Grant comes highly recommended and so far our transaction has been smooth.

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
How did you get your upper radiator cover so smooth before paint? I really like that idea, I'd love to shoot mine as well, but it wouldn't look very good in the OE textured finish

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
Also, your dipped pieces look great. My buddy has a bunch of pieces dipped by LICC on his termi. I was really impressed by the quality

Black 2000

Boss Hoss
Established Member
How did you get your upper radiator cover so smooth before paint? I really like that idea, I'd love to shoot mine as well, but it wouldn't look very good in the OE textured finish

Had a paint and body shop do all my pieces. Others have had success with sanding them down by hand. Then use a filler/primer and if not smooth enough for you some body filler and more sanding.

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
Had a paint and body shop do all my pieces. Others have had success with sanding them down by hand. Then use a filler/primer and if not smooth enough for you some body filler and more sanding.

I've considered the latter of those two. The first option sounds like quite a bit of labor. I'm a pretty decent painter myself, so I've been considering doing it myself. I've done bikes, helmets and I sell custom painted, 70's looking lowrider schemed skateboards at hotrod shows. Yours looks awesome and may just be the inspiration I need to do mine after I get my motor out and get it built.

Users who are viewing this thread