Hydraulic or solid lifter

Kaden Alwazzan

Established Member
I had taken these pictures when inspecting lifters for damage. I had just assumed they were hydraulic (rookie move). The engine is now all together but now I’m having second thoughts. How can I find out if these are hydraulic without removing the intake manifold. If I have to remove the manifold and take the lifter apart so be it but if there is a way to check without doing so I would prefer that.

If they are solid now I have problems because I do not know cam specs for lash adjustments

Thanks for the help guys/gals

fa435e5e057634cef59bce7b22242f39.jpg
9f23196f02d4679a20723768040aec2f.jpg
55a4dc54a5f87ffc14dfbf952a888d96.jpg
b9ea2d8b4fca01fac574e3547e50d54e.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
They're hydraulic. The clip in the bore in the top pic is too keep the plunger in place.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Granted its been a while, but none of the solid lifters I ever dealt with had a clip. Theres no need because theres no plunger. Also the solid lifters tended to be skinnier around the middle to save weight.

How did you set the lash? Or did someone else do it? If the engine hasn't been primed then the plunger should still move freely. Crank down on one of the rockers past zero lash. If its hydraulic the side of the rocker on the push rod will move before the valve side.

Kaden Alwazzan

Established Member
Granted its been a while, but none of the solid lifters I ever dealt with had a clip. Theres no need because theres no plunger. Also the solid lifters tended to be skinnier around the middle to save weight.

How did you set the lash? Or did someone else do it? If the engine hasn't been primed then the plunger should still move freely. Crank down on one of the rockers past zero lash. If its hydraulic the side of the rocker on the push rod will move before the valve side.

I did that and the valve starts lowering. Not seeing any movement on the pushrod. Car hasn’t ran in 7-8months. But they look brand new. Don’t know if they hold fluid that long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01blckcobra

Established Member
I've seen solid lifters look identical to hyd. End up putting in a vice and see which on "squishes" or take it apart. lot of times the solid will have an c-clip instead of a wire spring clip. Or solids lifters have a groove cut towards the top of the lifter vs the bottom. depends on manufacturer. Visual Squish test usually works. But to me it looks like a hydraulic lifter.

toby1234

Established Member
Looks like you have a 65-66 and likely not a k code or any hi performance stock engine. If that’s the case, why do you think they could be solid? Most came with hydraulic lifters. Did you, or someone else install solid lifters before?
They look hydraulic to me and I would bet that’s what they are.

Last edited:

Kaden Alwazzan

Established Member
Looks like you have a 65-66 and likely not a k code or any hi performance stock engine. If that’s the case, why do you think they could be solid? Most came with hydraulic lifters. Did you, or someone else install solid lifters before?
They look hydraulic to me and I would bet that’s what they are.

It has a large cam in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread