HVAC Question

blownfox

Established Member
I’m in the process of building a home and trying to decide if this worth the extra $1100 to upgrade to a 92% furnace. It could take 10 years for the ROI. Example, if I spend $1000 in gas to heat my house, $200 is wasted with the 80% system. Now with the 92% system I would only be wasting $80 which would give me a saving of 120 per year. Over nine years it would only save $1080.

Would I be better off with a two-stage system that uses an 80% furnace? I live in South-central Kansas and can get to below freezing for a month or two.

sleek98

Established Member
Worth it. I have now built 2 homes. First house (2,100 sq feet) had 1 single stage 92% unit, new house (3,150 sq feet) has (two) 2 stage 96% units.

House 2 is a bigger version of house 1. Basically made it winder and deeper, then added one room. Its within a mile of the old house as well.

Ironic part is that we had one of the coldest winters out of the last 5 or 6 years and house #2 heating bills were lower than house #1.

Each step up you go makes a huge difference in house much gas you use, but the dual stage from single stage was huge for comfort.

Last edited:

blownfox

Established Member
Right now, we plan to start building in mid-October. I will ask about the rebates when we select a HVAC company. We have several to choose.

I asked several builders about spray in foam and it’s something that none of the builders do around here (at least at my price point). However, we do have R38 in the Attic (which our current has R13 at best) and upgraded windows low-e with Argon gas. Everything else is R14 cellulose. All this sounds good on paper but unsure how it relates to their efficiencies.

We picked our lot with the sun in mind so hopefully this helps. The front of the house faces north and only two small windows on the west wall.

Its funny because this house has less finished sqft then our current house. Current house is about 2K main floor and basement finished. The house we are building is 1770 main for only. HVAC is set up to include basement even if unfinished. It will take me probably 3 to 5 years to finish the basement.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Spray foam your entire home (exterior walls, ceiling, under roof). We did and our energy bills are incredibly low compared to our last home.

This is the best money spent. Closed cell foam application. If you want to heat with a candle or cool with an ice cube (so it's said!) Other benefits include structural support, insect and rodent deterrent and barrier Also, the foam doesn't allow any wind penetration into structure, that account for huge energy losses during extreme temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Buddy spray foamed his house, it helps out a lot more than I would have expected.

It makes the house very, very quiet too.

Users who are viewing this thread