HVAC controls

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I'm having an issue with my HVAC staying on the defrost setting. Everthing else seems to work fine i just cant get it off defrost....any ideas on what it could be?

thanks

Last edited:

fivestangs

Established Member
The doors are controlled by vacuum, check that the little vacuum junction (I think it has 5 tubes running through it) is hooked up to the vacuum tree and that none of the lines are broken (they're made of plastic and get brittle and break over time).

no2moro

Established Member
I agree, check the vacuum line, you can access them from the glove box and under the dash. Also check behind the HVAC controls.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
check for leaks underneath the hood (as was mentioned above) especially if you have been doing any engine work lately

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys, I just purchased the car about a month ago and the motor has been rebuilt so maybe a vac line was not secured correctly or just needs to be replaced?

thanks again.

fivestangs

Established Member
Not hooked up or broken, those are your 2 most likely scenarios. It's possible the vacuum motor under the dash is bad, but I would definitely go the easy route and try to verify the line going TO that motor is hooked up and not leaking.

On these cars, the hard vacuum lines get brittle and crack very easily. You have to look at the passenger side firewall for, I think it's 2 or 3 hard lines passing through the firewall from inside the car, one of those will be the line that controls the vent doors.

Users who are viewing this thread