hvac blower fan weak at vents

Jo Jos 96 Cobra

Established Member
hello bought a 96 cobra couple months ago and noticed the ac fan is very weak at the vent, even on max ac and fan speed 4 i get almost no air from the cent vents. side vents are a little better but not much. i also get a little air from the floor vent at the same time. i have checked the little chrome vacuum canister in the dash right behind the center vents and the yellow line is attached to the bottom of it. but it does move. is the bottom on this canister rubber? i have pulled the fan and checked the blades ans they are near perfect. you can hear the fan as it sounds like its about to take off. not over loud just it is turning. i had a 1994 gt before this car and the cobra ac is much weaker. it blows cold air just not much of it

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
Does the amount of air the blower moves change if you move the temp. control towards warm? How about if you select defrost or floor?

TheDoughboy

Established Member
There is also foam edging where the "vents" seal up to the "inner dash duct work". That gets old/rotted and air leaks out where the joints meet. My recently purchased 96 was blowing lil bits of old sticky greasy rotted foam from the main center vents. When I pulled the hvac/radio trim off to upgrade to led lights, I replaced the foam gasketing before the trim reinstall.

HTH,

Ron

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
have you checked the ducting (in and out) to make sure somethings not blocking it up? my old explorer was awesome at sucking anything up off the floor and partially blocking it up leading to weak air flow

Jo Jos 96 Cobra

Established Member
ducking seems to be clean. going to remove fan again tomorrow and try to snake something through all the vents to make sure tho. altho i may of fixed it today. the door behind the vents that works on vacuum was not opening up with the car running. after forcing it ope 4 or 5 times i started hearing the little silver or chrome can sucking air. and then it started working again. that may of been the problem. didnt get the car all back together tonight and im still going to pull the fan tomorrow to make sure. ill know more after its done and i take the car out

Jo Jos 96 Cobra

Established Member
come to find out after getting car out for spring the yellow vacuum line that works the blender door was only letting the door open 1/4 way open. blows much better now. but most of my foam is gone after 20 years

Users who are viewing this thread