Hurt the motor...

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Well it finally happened. I was beating on my car a couple weeks ago and when I settled down, I heard a pretty loud ticking/clacking/knocking coming from the engine. I knew it was bad the instant I heard it and after talking to my tuner, he thought it sounded like a hurt piston. I didn't think that's what it sounded like but I figured I better do a compression test anyway, just to make sure. Here's what I found after doing two readings on each cylinder...

#1 - 145, 145
#2 - 144, 140
#3 - 142, 143
#4 - 133, 133
#5 - 128, 122
#6 - 144, 142
#7 - 82, 82 SHIT!!!!
#8 - 135, 133

As you can see, it looks like a couple holes are down in compression a little bit, but #7 is obviously the problem. So, looks like it's time to start saving up some money so I can rip it all apart and start the rebuild. Since I'm going to have it all apart anyway, I think I'm going to go with the MMR Stroker Street Mod 950, .020 over bore, and get the heads rebuilt with new valves, guides, springs, retainers, and Comp Cams Stage III cams. I made 600HP/600TQ with a 2.2KB @ 19lbs on the stock motor so I'm hoping for somewhere in the 675-700HP range with the new setup. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and I'll post pics when I get it all torn apart. Just thought you all would like to know...

Wish me luck,
Jason

03cobramanIII

Banned
dam man thats bites, i been seeing you around on here, post up some pics when you get it torned down,or you going to still going to drive it like that untill you save the money up? i dont think i would , whats the most over bore these motor take ? more than .020 right ,

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
I'm not sure about the bore, I think people have had problems when they've done more than the .020 over. NO, I'm not going to drive it like that. I've got a Ranger for a daily driver so it looks like that will be my only vehicle for a while. I'll definitely post up a bunch of pics when I get it all torn down.

03cobramanIII

Banned
are you like me and cant seem to put 5.0 and mm/ff mags down during the day when not on this site.?
i do every night , the mods never stop do they.
at least you know your car will be faster than it was before, thats what i always look forward to. i would love to get 700 rwhp too.

Well it finally happened. I was beating on my car a couple weeks ago and when I settled down, I heard a pretty loud ticking/clacking/knocking coming from the engine. I knew it was bad the instant I heard it and after talking to my tuner, he thought it sounded like a hurt piston. I didn't think that's what it sounded like but I figured I better do a compression test anyway, just to make sure. Here's what I found after doing two readings on each cylinder...

#1 - 145, 145
#2 - 144, 140
#3 - 142, 143
#4 - 133, 133
#5 - 128, 122
#6 - 144, 142
#7 - 82, 82 SHIT!!!!
#8 - 135, 133

As you can see, it looks like a couple holes are down in compression a little bit, but #7 is obviously the problem. So, looks like it's time to start saving up some money so I can rip it all apart and start the rebuild. Since I'm going to have it all apart anyway, I think I'm going to go with the MMR Stroker Street Mod 950, .020 over bore, and get the heads rebuilt with new valves, guides, springs, retainers, and Comp Cams Stage III cams. I made 600HP/600TQ with a 2.2KB @ 19lbs on the stock motor so I'm hoping for somewhere in the 675-700HP range with the new setup. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and I'll post pics when I get it all torn apart. Just thought you all would like to know...

Wish me luck,
Jason

Sorry to hear about your woes. Can you please explain what you meant by "beating on my car"? I'm rather curious what kind of pulls you were doing and for how long and in what gear? Lastly, can you go over your cooling mods and what your mileage was on the motor? And what were your mods???

Much appreciated. Good luck on your rebuild.

Rob

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your woes. Can you please explain what you meant by "beating on my car"? I'm rather curious what kind of pulls you were doing and for how long and in what gear? Lastly, can you go over your cooling mods and what your mileage was on the motor? And what were your mods???

Much appreciated. Good luck on your rebuild.

Rob

Damn, that's a lot of questions!!! J/K man, my mods are basically a new style 2.2KB@19lbs with pretty much ALL the bolt ons. I don't have a head cooling mod however, that will come with the new motor. I've got a H/E, I/C tank, RAI, Accufab, 4lb lower, MAFia, 60lb injectors, BAP, BBK longtubes & O/R X, Bassani catback, and a Diablo Tune. That's pretty much it for power, all the other stuff is chassis stiffening and ride quality.

As far as what I was doing when I was beating on it, I was doing a BIG burnout for some guys at work that are pretty much obsessed with my car. It was a first gear burnout on the line lock at about 5500-6000 RPM for 20-25 seconds or so. It was when I let off and was driving home that I started hearing the nasty noises. Oh yeah, and the car clicked over 66,000 miles on the drive home so it's probably at about 66,010 right now.

showme cobra

Banned
Yeah Thats Beating On It-you Should Get The Guys Who Are Obsessed With It To Chip In For A New Shortblock-i Get That Where Ever I Go -'hey Burn Them Off Or Get On It- Get Real People

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
good luck man...keep us posted with pics....espically during break down....How much are the mmr short blocks??? stroked and non????

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Isolated #7 cylinder damage = heat.

Do you have a cooling mod?

Do you have a safe tune?

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Isolated #7 cylinder damage = heat.

Do you have a cooling mod?

Do you have a safe tune?

Don't have a cooling mod, DEFINITELY WILL on the new motor. Probably the EvenFlow. I have a very safe tune in the car, it might have even been a little too rich.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I've got the cooling mod and I think the same thing happened to my car. Havent had a chance to do a compression test but she will be getting an mmr 950 stroker longblock hopefully here soon. I plan on going ahead and throwing the full lethal/fore fuel setup in her along with LT's and tubular K. Damn thing is I was almost out of my credit card debt. Oh well.

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
That's why I'm gonna have to save up for a while to get the money I need. I have the room on the credit card to go buy it all right now, nothing but the best. However, if I did that my wife would first blow up the car just to spite me, and then she would probably divorce me. So, needless to say, I'm probably not going to take THAT plunge. The car will be down for a while, but it will sure be fun tearing it apart and rebuilding it!!! The funny thing is, I've had pretty much EVERYTHING off that car anyway so it doesn't seem like the R&R would be too terribly difficult. The only thing I'm not sure about is the A/C lines. Anyone know if I actually have to disconnect them or can I just pull them out of the way??? Thanks for the help guys...

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
About 4k for non-stroker iron block
4.5k for a iron stroker

MMRracing.com

+1 ^^^^

They're pretty pricey, that's why I'm thinking about buying the stroker rotating assembly and just doing everything myself. My dad is good friends with a guy who owns a machine shop so I can get all the machining done for CHEAP. That same guy also does head work so I can have the heads rebuilt for cheap too. That's the real reason why I'm thinking of doing it all myself.

Users who are viewing this thread