Huntsville Alabama

scottminot

Established Member
Anyone from Huntsville or the surrounding area? I just got a job offer that would require me to relocate to the Huntsville area and I'm looking for some info on the area such as cost of living, real estate prices, parts of town to stay away from, and any other info would be great. Thanks.

shhak

Established Member
Not exactly from the Huntsville area, but I live about 85 miles west of there in TN. Real estate prices just depend on what you're looking for. Farm ground and pasture land is as high as it's ever been. But houses in town are pretty well at a stand still right now. Several forclosure's in the area as well. I've got a 20 acre horse farm in Killen, AL that I've got listed for sale. Killen is about 60-65 miles from Huntsville. If you're interested in a horse farm, shoot me a line....

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Huntsville is going to grow considerably over the next few years since the BRAC will be sending lots jobs that way.

boosted306

Established Member
Cost of living is CHEAP! I live a few hours away but go down to race often. They have one of the largest 1/8th mile money races in the world. Anyway you want to fly in, rent a car, and drive around. That would be my best advice. I would even look into southern middle TN. Good luck.

scottminot

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I looked at some real estate online and the prices weren't too bad. How's the job market there? My fiance will have to find a new job if we move.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I lived in Madison for 3 years, and I liked it there. Cost of living was reasonable, taxes low, but traffic was getting bad. Mostly due to lack of planning for the growth rate.

I still have family there, and they love it.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The housing market is just starting to sag a bit; but reasonable homes abound.

In general, its growing; but stay away from the north side of town.

I wouldn't live in Madison unless you work on that side of the world.

Owens Crossroads has a small growth area of nice homes; but you'll likely have to go over the mountain to go to work; or the other direction to get downtown; but either direction isn't but about 10mins and traffic isn't bad.

scottminot

Established Member
Just wanted to bring this thread back to life and see if I can get some more input. I did get the job and I'll be moving to the Huntsville area after I train in LA for a month or so. Anyways, I decided to rent a place for a year or so and save up some cash before I buy a house. Does anyone have any suggestions on renting in the area?
I checked online and found some really nice rental complexes in Huntsville but they can make anything look good online. I don't want to live in a crappy neighborhood or a dark part of town if you know what I mean.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Just came back from there at a Wedding...went to a bar called the Horse, thought it was pretty cool, Karioke downstairs, and bikini contest upstairs...

Users who are viewing this thread