Humming/ringing coming from back of engine/blower

DropSVT

Established Member
First of all it's a 2.2kb car. Recently I developed a ringing sound that sounds like u just got flash banged in COD lol. It's a constant sound that only starts when the car is warmed up and idling. If I give it any amount of throttle it goes away. I'm unable to pinpoint it even though it's very loud but it's definitely coming from back of the engine. I used a stethoscope to see if I could hear it coming from the actual blower but failed to pinpoint it. Thinking it could possibly be from iac valve being that my f250 used to do the same thing but with idle symptoms as well. Any input helps. I will try and post a video in a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

DropSVT

Established Member
If anyone can help me post my video that would be awesome it's not letting me choose it from my library. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

olympic

Established Member
I don't think you can upload videos here directly, just pics and docs. Easiest is to upload it to YouTube or Facebook and then link it here.

DropSVT

Established Member
Update: I started it up cold and could hear it slightly so I used the stethoscope and found where it's coming from but I'm not sure what's causing the noise. I took the belt off and restarted the car and the noise was still there so I don't believe it's the blower. It's coming from underneath the back of the blower on that plate the arrows point to.
If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing it that would be appreciated. It seems to come from the lower manifold so I'll be pulling the blower back off to see if anything stands out.
e68238f46ad3ce89187911394317e3b1.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Sounds like have a vacuum leak back there. That the sound is diminished when you crack the throttle supports that idea as well.

Take the metal part off the end of the stethoscope so it's just the tube and you should be able to pinpoint it better.

DropSVT

Established Member
Sounds like have a vacuum leak back there. That the sound is diminished when you crack the throttle supports that idea as well.

Take the metal part off the end of the stethoscope so it's just the tube and you should be able to pinpoint it better.

I already have a straight tube one. I will see about sticking some brake cleaner in there and if it revs up then I have to figure out where it's even leaking from.

DropSVT

Established Member
Update found the issue kinda. When looking for the leak I found that when I pushed down on the back of the supercharger it went away for the most part then while pulling up slightly it becomes louder.
I checked the bolts from blower to manifold and they were tight. So I'm guessing the seal may be bad on the supercharger that goes to the "adapter" plate? Has anyone ever heard of that leaking before? Will be pulling it all back off and checking seals within the next few days.

DropSVT

Established Member
Ok still haven't figured this out... I've now deleted egr and all of the sensors/ vacuum harness and redid all of the gaskets and torqued everything to spec.
I now think it could actually be the boost bypass valve on the back. The fuel rail is kinda pushing on it and it seems to be where the noise is coming from when I block it with my hand. When I turn the car off you can clearly hear the noise fade out with the vacuum diminishing.
Has anybody heard of a bypass valve that makes noise like this? It holds vacuum and boost but I swear it's coming from there. WHERE ARE YOU KENNE BELL GUYS AT

Users who are viewing this thread