Human Resource/RIF/Severance Package

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
Long story short. I am going to be involved in trying to obtain a severance package from my company however I may need some advice on how to handle it.

I was given a severance package back in Oct of 2010 however I accepted a position/demotion to keep health insurance and dental benefits within the company. So the package was never signed,but I held on to it. Fast forward three months later I was offered a position back in outside sales. That lasted until Dec. 2011 with another RIF, this time I was never really given the opportunity to accept a packet. I was presented the same job prior, that I accepted as a demotion This job was a large cut in pay and my expenses/car allowance/etc are stripped from me. Fast forward today, I have a few opportunities outside of my company and I will be trying to accept my severance if they allow me to have it.

Do I have a defense in asking for it? I have been with the company for almost 9 years. My drive to and from the office is about an hour both ways, technically I am losing money every time I come to work. What do you think? Any advice?

The direction from my company doesn't leave me with anymore opportunity in the future. I have spoken with the branch manager at our facility to give him a heads up that I will be speaking with HR in the coming days. Also, per the severance package they state their is a 90 day clause to sign off on it, however this time I never received the package; this information was from my first RIF. If true, that would leave me to March 19th with give or take a few days to accept severance if I have the paperwork. There is a NON eligible agreement if I accept a "suitable position" within the company; however taking a 35k pay cut isnt "suitable" for me, and that does include expenses. Technically I dont own the severance documents from Dec. of 2011 so none of this is public knowledge to me. Any advice? I have spoken to a few friends in HR with different companies and they said to seek HR legal advice. I wish to give my company the chance to be fair and ask them straight before I come to terms with a lawyer.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread