HPBYHERMAN - Wheel Hop

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Hi, Been gone a few years from this site. Today pulled my bone stock including air filter 03 dsg vert out of storage, went for a nice drive.
Problem: I am so sick of this stupid wheel hop, I want to fix it. There was a kit years ago the hpbyherman was offering with rear springs and shocks that eliminated the wheel hop on stock or slightly modded cobras. I tried to call hpbyherman in MD but the person that answered didn't have a new phone number somewhere in Florida. What is the deal with that?
I did some searches here but I am finding irs replacements.
Can someone help. Is there a kit to fix this wheel hop without going to extremes, I am keeping my cobra non performance modified
:pepper:

strtrenegade

WHAT TURBO (s) ?????????
Established Member
Diff brace, irs bushings, adj shocks and that should take care of 99% of the problem.:)

TrickStang37

Established Member
check out ac427cobra, he sells the delrin bushings you need. dont get the poly's, if your gonna do it once (and trust me, you only want to do these once, they are a BITCH!) you might as well do it right. That, and some stiffer springs (I used H&R Race) and it got rid of 80% of the wheel hop and severity of it. Some say subframe connectors help, didnt help any on mine, but is still recommended. Ac427Cobra's kit is COMPLETE for the IRS, its the delrin Upper/lower control arm bushings, aluminum front differential bushing, delrin rear differential bushing, delrin front and rear subframe bushings and front 14mm bolts. this makes the rear handle like it should, with zero deflection. traction and response is much much better. with these mods, the car feels like it handles as if its 500lbs lighter.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Hermann is still around. He is now in FL...

813-241-2783

I noticed you have a 'vert. The fastest thing you can do is swap to Coupe springs; BF Cover brace; MM FL SFC's; then choose what bushings you want in the rear. I'm running full urethane with no issues. (street use only).

Last edited:

724COBRA

Established Member
TrickStang37 said:
check out ac427cobra, he sells the delrin bushings you need. dont get the poly's, if your gonna do it once (and trust me, you only want to do these once, they are a BITCH!) you might as well do it right. That, and some stiffer springs (I used H&R Race) and it got rid of 80% of the wheel hop and severity of it. Some say subframe connectors help, didnt help any on mine, but is still recommended. Ac427Cobra's kit is COMPLETE for the IRS, its the delrin Upper/lower control arm bushings, aluminum front differential bushing, delrin rear differential bushing, delrin front and rear subframe bushings and front 14mm bolts. this makes the rear handle like it should, with zero deflection. traction and response is much much better. with these mods, the car feels like it handles as if its 500lbs lighter.

I just ordered Bruce's kit. check it out

adamb258

Established Member
heres what worked for me:
cut coupe springs
diff brace
IRS brace
full length SFC
HBH anti hop shocks

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
Biggest improvement

The biggest improvement for me was the addition of QA-1 Adjustable Drag Shocks.....set mine on my DSG Vert to 2.

I have NO hop.

Other mods:

Full length Subs by MM
6 point bar
rear shock tower brace
Bushing kit by MM

Diff Brace......would not waste my money....the stock one is just as good.....I would go so far to say that I would remove my Kenny Brown Diff Brace for you....sell it to you for 1/2 what I paid and re-install my stock one to save money......there's is a joke.....should of never put it on.

BFG Drag Radials or Hoosiers.......Nittos hop more than these two with similar mods and pressure.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Nittos is what I have on. If I put the rear pressure at 25 which is dangerous, most of the wheel hop is gone if the tires are warmed up

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
T3 Cobra said:
Nittos is what I have on. If I put the rear pressure at 25 which is dangerous, most of the wheel hop is gone if the tires are warmed up

Believe it or not Your Nitto's are adding to the wheel hop problem..
Get a softer tire..BFG Dr's or Et Streets run about 24lbs air and that will help you stop the hop better then all the Brace,Spring and shock changes you can make..

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I agree with Jimmy. BFG DR's coupled with stiffer springs works for me. 0 wheel hop, ever, from a 503 rwhp (SAE) ported Eaton to a 605 rwhp (SAE) Whipple.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Bruce's kit (Derlin, UHMW, aluminum) is where it's at. I no longer have any wheel hop. My mods include his kit, FLSC, H&R SS springs, MJ brace and stickier tires. The difference after adding Bruce's kit was tremendous.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
i don't think it's on laurel mountain's page, but my buddy bought some 'air bags' - for the rear (shocks?) to eliminate wheel hop, worked for him..
i'd agree though tires are important, this makes me reconsider running nittos on my stock rims.. guess i'll try BFG's.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I had no idea the nittos would cause this, they are brand new from last year. I replaced the original goodyears after bumping a curb at 2,000 miles, I had wheel hop with them to. I liked the look and specs on the nittos.

You guys have been great :beer:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I had no idea the nittos would cause this, they are brand new from last year. I replaced the original goodyears after bumping a curb at 2,000 miles, I had wheel hop with them to. I liked the look and specs on the nittos.

You guys have been great :beer:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Looks like Bruces kit is the answer ac427cobra.
He even has the tool kit to install it. He has helped out drastically with this problem.
I simply do not have the time. I travel a lot so weekends are premium. Wish I knew someone in the Roanoke, Va. area that could do it?

What are the negatives to Bruces kit? Does it cause a harsh or noisy ride? I really like the ride and handling I have today with a stock cobra.
What is NVH?

With time a premium, I am some what decided on the rear ford coupe springs with those AC shocks someone listed above? This would be a quick install and sounds like it will help a lot.

On a second issue .... When this website first started in 2002 there was a flame war going on over CAI. I used the UPR pipe kit that put the filter in the wheelwell on my 1st cobra. With all the other mods that I had done it ran very good and surprisingly did not have much wheel hop.
Anyway I see these 9" cone filters that just bolt on to the maf ending up by the radiator.
It seems like this setup would cause a lot of heat intake but maybe when the car is moving it actually receives better cold air with no restrictions. Was there ever a final winner?
:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread