HP #s for VMP 2.3 blower and cams

IllCobra

Established Member
Curious on what guys running the vmp 2.3 blower with cams are making for power? I am planning on going E85 sometime soon and was curious what other owners are making on this smaller blower with cams, and if it was worth it to do cams or find myself a used 2.9 gen 4 whipple crusher to reach my goal of ~850whp on E85. Could I get there staying with my current gen 2 vmp 2.3, cams, and E85? I have heard great things from Todd Warren cams and Kurgan cams.
Those of you currently running a 2.3 blower and cams please post:
--WHP numbers
--Blower
--brand of cams
--fuel

Not sure how much it will matter but I am not running the GT500 TB on my 2.3. Instead I have a Dragon TB and plenum with a JLT cold air, Mac LT headers, stock lower but I do plan on a metco #4 lower when I go e85.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
FWIW I made 721hp with a 2.3TVS w/GT500, 2.8 upper, stock lower. But 10.6:1cr, stage 3 off the shelf blower cam (probably some on the table there), LT, e85. Probably not great having the stock intake tube though.

Long story short, for the price just get a bigger blower and go e85 unless you're in the engine anyway. Even then not cheap. Sounds great though.

I don't see 850HP on a 2.3 TVS being possible. Just outside the efficiency range.

Maybe with aftermarket ECU and spinning it to 8k but totally be taking the hard route.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Malcolmv8 was over 800rwhp with cams, heads and 2.3 tvs.

And a shit ton of compression IIRC. By the time you build a whole engine to get 800hp out of a 2.3 you might as well just get the larger blower was what I was saying. A lot depends on the dyno too, I feel 850+ is going to be a stretch. A full build with heads, cams and pistons is easily in the 10K range if you're not doing it yourself.

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe he was 10 to 1 on that, his newest build is like 12 to 1 and I'm not sure its ever been on the dyno.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I believe he was 10 to 1 on that, his newest build is like 12 to 1 and I'm not sure its ever been on the dyno.

Damn, wonder how much boost. Making me feel let down now lol. I know I left a little timing on the table but I'd think I'd be hard pressed to break into the 8** range.
Friend has pretty much my build with ported heads and a 3.0/4# combo and only got mid-high 7**
Malcom was running that huge crusher tube too though.
@MalcolmV8

IllCobra

Established Member
FWIW I made 721hp with a 2.3TVS w/GT500, 2.8 upper, stock lower. But 10.6:1cr, stage 3 off the shelf blower cam (probably some on the table there), LT, e85. Probably not great having the stock intake tube though.

Long story short, for the price just get a bigger blower and go e85 unless you're in the engine anyway. Even then not cheap. Sounds great though.

I don't see 850HP on a 2.3 TVS being possible. Just outside the efficiency range.

Maybe with aftermarket ECU and spinning it to 8k but totally be taking the hard route.
721hp seems low for e85... Heartbreaker dyno? That's around what 2.3s make on unopened stock motors. Did you degree the cams? What brand?

Oh, I am asking everybody that I see that has a magnum, but is anything done to your t56 magnum or stock?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
721hp seems low for e85... Heartbreaker dyno? That's around what 2.3s make on unopened stock motors. Did you degree the cams? What brand?

Oh, I am asking everybody that I see that has a magnum, but is anything done to your t56 magnum or stock?

Stock Magnum with Amsoil, shifts greats.

Yeah Mustang Dyno known to be a little low and a tuner who likes to play it a little safe. Plus only a 2.8 upper so ~18psi. Take more than 18psi to make 720 on a stock motor I would think. I believe part of it may have to do with the stock tube and cam combo. Likes to drop boost up top where the cams want to shine. There are a few minor things causing problems I need to address.

IllCobra

Established Member
Malcolmv8 was over 800rwhp with cams, heads and 2.3 tvs.
Wasn't he at 10:6 comp? Seems like over 800whp might be out of the question without more internal work... I freaking wish I wasn't in college when I was having my motor rebuilt! I would have done cams then and saved on the install. I only did a slight bump in compression 9:2 I think, but didn't have the funds for aftermarket cams.

cj428mach

Established Member
721 rwhp with cams and on e85 is pretty low or just a bad dyno. I made 770rwhp with the 2.65 at 21.5 psi when I was stock long block (just head studs). I've seen people add 75rwhp or better with just cams. It makes me wish I would have gone with something besides 96-98 cobra cams because with my stage 3 livernois heads it would have some serious gains.

IllCobra

Established Member
Stock Magnum with Amsoil, shifts greats.

Yeah Mustang Dyno known to be a little low and a tuner who likes to play it a little safe. Plus only a 2.8 upper so ~18psi. Take more than 18psi to make 720 on a stock motor I would think. I believe part of it may have to do with the stock tube and cam combo. Likes to drop boost up top where the cams want to shine. There are a few minor things causing problems I need to address.
Oh, then your numbers are definitely deflated lol Mustang dyno, stock tube, and drops in boost = no bueno

IllCobra

Established Member
721 rwhp with cams and on e85 is pretty low or just a bad dyno. I made 770rwhp with the 2.65 at 21.5 psi when I was stock long block (just head studs). I've seen people add 75rwhp or better with just cams. It makes me wish I would have gone with something besides 96-98 cobra cams because with my stage 3 livernois heads it would have some serious gains.
You'd be in the 850ish numbers for sure. Looks like high 700s would be a better goal on cams since I have DC heads, which provide better cooling to the cylinders but I've read that they dont flow as well as the DA DB heads... oh well, if I find a good deal on used gen 4 2.9 that might be a better choice to hit my 850whp goal.

cj428mach

Established Member
You'd be in the 850ish numbers for sure. Looks like high 700s would be a better goal on cams since I have DC heads, which provide better cooling to the cylinders but I've read that they dont flow as well as the DA DB heads... oh well, if I find a good deal on used gen 4 2.9 that might be a better choice to hit my 850whp goal.

Thats what I hope. Since I dyno'ed I added 96 Cobra Cams, Livernois Stage 3 heads and a smaller pulley (should have added one more PSI if I didn't do the cams/heads).

Soap

Established Member
You can make 850rwhp with cams on a well spun TVS, it just needs to be setup properly. I am making 825 +/- on a 100% stock engine with a ported 2.3 (no nitrous).

I think @SVT_Troy has some dyno numbers from his 2.3 combo.

--Joe

Last edited:

IllCobra

Established Member
You can make 850rwhp with cams on a well spun TVS, it just needs to be setup properly. I am making 825 +/- on a 100% stock engine with a ported 2.3 (no nitrous).

I think @SVT_Troy has some dyno numbers from his 2.3 combo.

--Joe
Do these 2.3s see good gains with porting? Who did you porting? What cams? lower? I'm interested to hear more info on your setup/mods

Soap

Established Member
Do these 2.3s see good gains with porting? Who did you porting? What cams? lower? I'm interested to hear more info on your setup/mods

You aren't going to make much more power with the porting, but the porting allows you can spin the blower a lot harder than the stock casting efficiently allows. Stock engine (stock cams), 6# lower. Jokerz ported mine.

--Joe

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Huh, didn't know anyone was porting the 2.3 TVS Gen 2

Great, more money while the blower is off the car.

IllCobra

Established Member
You aren't going to make much more power with the porting, but the porting allows you can spin the blower a lot harder than the stock casting efficiently allows. Stock engine (stock cams), 6# lower. Jokerz ported mine.

--Joe
Thank you for renewing my faith in the 2.3 blower haha
Are you running a Gen 1 or Gen 2 2.3? I looked on Joker's website and he has a sale going on porting and rebuild for the 2.3, but only on the Gen 1 vmp nothing on the Gen 2....

Users who are viewing this thread