HP #'s before worrying about clutch ?

Slowponycar

Established Member
Birddoc was using a stock clutch with over 720 hp. He did switch it out to a Spec, cause he got a deal on one. His stock one held up fine. Still looks brand new. I have 650hp on my stock clutch and have no issues with it ever since I got mine last June. I have 6400 miles on mine.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Trying to figure out how long your stock clutch will last is like throwing a dart at the wall. If you break it in and don't abuse it to much (hot lapping it and not letting it cool down" IMO") it can last a while.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Its all in how you use it.

If you putt around on the street or if you're running sticky tires at the 1/4 track..

The long rear end gears put alot of load on the clutch.

Myfast70

Established Member
Snorman has 60+ passes on his bone stock car and no issues as of yet. I think most of them are mid to low 11sec passes too. It good to mention that he installed the driver mod and is a heck of a driver!

RockStarKick

Established Member
Thanks guys, car won't see much strip time, it's not a daily driver just my weekend toy. I purchased a kit from Van, the 13-6 kit with OR-X. I think this kit gives like 80 rwhp. To anyone that has done the clutch, how hard of a job is it ?

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As others mentioned its really not based solely on HP numbers but a lot on how you drive the car. Our stock clutch didn't make it past our second trip to the track. Granted we tend to push our cars pretty hard so I wasn't upset about the failure.

On the other hand you have guys like Snorman who have had excellent results with the stock clutch.

So my suggestion would be to utilize the stock clutch until you start seeing signs of slippage or failure. Then put a McLeod RXT in and you'll be good to go.

Jared

Myfast70

Established Member
Thanks guys, car won't see much strip time, it's not a daily driver just my weekend toy. I purchased a kit from Van, the 13-6 kit with OR-X. I think this kit gives like 80 rwhp. To anyone that has done the clutch, how hard of a job is it ?

I think you'll be fine with the 13-6 kit. Especially if you're not planning on taking it to the track much. If you thought the car spins them bad now it will be even easier once you install the 13-6 kit.

gkviper192

Established Member
I know 2 people with regular bolts who have smelled their clutch along with a hanging pedal during highway pulls. It may last a little while, but be prepared to buy a clutch unless its a garage queen and you barely ever rip on it.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I have over 100 passes and 2200 miles on mine almost all of the miles after 1000 mile break in were with drag radials and 680 ish rwhp and it holds like a champ. I had the clutch smell a few times in the first 500 miles. Like others have said its a normal wear and tear item so your results my vary.

RockStarKick

Established Member
I have over 100 passes and 2200 miles on mine almost all of the miles after 1000 mile break in were with drag radials and 680 ish rwhp and it holds like a champ. I had the clutch smell a few times in the first 500 miles. Like others have said its a normal wear and tear item so your results my vary.

Good news. Yeah I'm at 650 miles so far. I've been very easy with the car so far, never smelled burning clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread