hp max on the sn95 dohc 4.6

reis_jsr

Established Member
hey so just sold my vortech gt, thought id join the big boys with the 4V. looking for a 90's cobra right now but im going ahead with my parts options now. i have no idea what the 90's dohc 4.6 can take in stock trim! looking for 500-550 streetable hp can this be done with the motor in stock shape----safely?? if not ill build it. but what is a bad a** power combo on this motor???? twin turbo, one big turbo, kenne bell, procharger, or vortech?? lemme know guys!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I would think around 400hp with under 10psi on a good safe tune, but anything more than that, your just asking for a rebuilt engine. For 500+ HP, I would go with a forged shortblock and either

1) Procharger with I/C
2) Or turbo(s)

Kenne Bell is good, but after 400 hp, it's start to get really hot air (no intercooler), so I would say centrifical with I/C or turbo with 9.0:1 compression, or around there.

reis_jsr

Established Member
thanx guys, i really appreciate the feedback. i just love the cobras i put 28,000 into my gt only to realize in the end i still just wanted a cobra.....yeah i know pretty dumb. but a downside is i dont know squat about the 4V's so what would you do? is the bottom end good for what HP? and should I just build the heads cams etc. or what?

reis_jsr

Established Member
wow, not what I meant. what I meant to write was is the bottom end on that motor good for high hp applications or is that no go. or would I be good with just building the top end? thanx for ya'lls help

reis_jsr

Established Member
then again I can always change the powerplant to a nuclear reactor and make 500,000 RWHP! would I need new axels. lol

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
No the rods are crap, and the pistons are hyperuPUKETIC lol, crank and block will last for 1,000hp. But anything past 400hp or so, your motor (rods/pistons) is a time bomb.

Toasty

Established Member
No the rods are crap, and the pistons are hyperuPUKETIC lol, crank and block will last for 1,000hp. But anything past 400hp or so, your motor (rods/pistons) is a time bomb.

+1. This is well known and documented by many sources in this forum and outside of it. The 400 number is an excellent rule of thumb when talking baout power adders and the short block. A 2V of teh same generation would take the same I would think as the materials used in the pistons and rods are the same.

Start with a forged shortblock and build from there if you want 450+ RWHP.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Buddy had a D1SC on his cobra maken 450hp blew it up within a couple weeks my other friend has a P1SC on his cobra maken 400hp no problems so far and its been over a year and a half and he is very heavy on the throttle..

Id say around 400-450 on stock internals and luck of the draw

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
A 2V of teh same generation would take the same I would think as the materials used in the pistons and rods are the same.

As far as I know all mustangs from 1993-07+ had hyper pistons and crap rods, the cobra's (4.6) had forged crank and teksid until about 01' then the block changed. Then the 03/04's got manley rods, forged pistons, and crank.

reis_jsr

Established Member
ok wow so do any of you guys know by any chance will a terminators rotating assembly bolt in directly or would I have to buy a whole different one from aftermarket sources?

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
the 03 rotating will bolt in, but if you are building it yourself, it would be cheaper to just buy pistons and rods and have your crank inspected.

Lots of guys are building these cars back with stock cams and heads, forged internals, remove the IMRC's, and add a centri blower. Local guy here has one making 600ish at the wheels with a Vortech on a SHM built engine. This car has been on the streets for 7 yrs that I know of. Not driven a whole lot, but it has lasted thus far.

Tousley Ford. 03 Cobra longblock $3710, that's the path I'm going. To totally rebuild my 96 engine, forged bottom end, new valves & springs, port job, timing chains......$5100. To me, saving 60lbs & the "down time" isn't worth $1400

reis_jsr

Established Member
good point well thanx cause i gotta do something picking my cobra up next week. got about 11,000 to put into it right now dont know if that will cover my basic power needs yet

Users who are viewing this thread