HP limits on stock 2010 exhaust

charged87

Established Member
I'm not looking to do any exhaust work anytime soon and I actually like the exhaust note the way it comes from ford. I just want to know what some of you guys are making with the stock manifolds, cats and mufflers. I'll be just doing the basic tune, pulley, large inlet and heat exchanger for now but a tvs is planned in the future.

DutyCalls

Established Member
I'm not looking to do any exhaust work anytime soon and I actually like the exhaust note the way it comes from ford. I just want to know what some of you guys are making with the stock manifolds, cats and mufflers. I'll be just doing the basic tune, pulley, large inlet and heat exchanger for now but a tvs is planned in the future.

I'm running a TVS with a 2.8 pulley, L&M 72mm TB and plenum and a JLT intake tube on my '10 with bone stock exhaust........625rwhp/619rwtq

charged87

Established Member
I'm running a TVS with a 2.8 pulley, L&M 72mm TB and plenum and a JLT intake tube on my '10 with bone stock exhaust........625rwhp/619rwtq

Is that safe with running cats making over 600rwhp? I heard the cats don't like it at that hp level. Also are you still using a stock clutch?

Reis racing

Established Member
I'm still running stock manifolds, my car came with high flow cats and ford racing mufflers from previous owner. But u will gain more hp with better exhaust.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the stock 2010 catback after my turbos. Hasn't seemed to have been a restriction yet. Has a great sound to it and between the turbos and stock mufflers it stays factory quiet.

Black Sex

Established Member
My cats went out at 2800 miles. Had them warrantied and gutted them at 3200 miles when I installed the TVS. See sig for #'s and mods. Stock exhaust from manifolds to tips. Cat shells are there but empty.

nxhappy

Established Member
My cats went out at 2800 miles. Had them warrantied and gutted them at 3200 miles when I installed the TVS. See sig for #'s and mods. Stock exhaust from manifolds to tips. Cat shells are there but empty.

Really? What causes the cats to fail so prematurely ? The only explanation might be that the car is running super rich causing the cats to overwork .

Someone from VMP said the cats would be fine with more power, even with a TVS.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Really? What causes the cats to fail so prematurely ? The only explanation might be that the car is running super rich causing the cats to overwork .

What causes cats to fail is temperature. Running rich actually lowers the temp. I have the FR750 2.9 Whipple kit with the FR Procal tune. The tune has Adaptive Cat Protection which dumps additional fuel in during WOT to keep the cats cool.

Black Sex

Established Member

Dunno. They rattled inside the shell and almost sounded like a lower end knock at idle and it went away with alittle gas. Had me worried at first. No questions asked and Ford replaced them.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
What causes cats to fail is temperature. Running rich actually lowers the temp. I have the FR750 2.9 Whipple kit with the FR Procal tune. The tune has Adaptive Cat Protection which dumps additional fuel in during WOT to keep the cats cool.

It really depends on the EGR system. Running rich can actually increases the cat temp. Exhaust temp and cat temp are two different things. Yes, the exhaust temps exiting an engine are lower on a rich tune, but the raw fuel running through a cat and burning increases it's temp substantially. A really rich tune will have your cats glowing red in no time -If there is enough oxygen in the system VIA EGR to allow that fuel to burn in the cat.

The Cat Protection actually closes the EGR, then floods the cats with fuel to cool them. Without that, the EGR valve would be open, feeding oxygen into the exhaust, which would destroy the cats quite quickly.

nxhappy

Established Member
I am assuming VMP can add this in the tune for the people like me who have cats

tvspower

Established Member
as for me i requested the protection be left on....600rwhp cats should last a long time over after market cats.... As now my car runs great with stock cats...

Users who are viewing this thread