HP Gains w/ longtubes? worth the money?

svtwes

Established Member
Im curious to see the rwhp gains on terminators with longtubes, im thinking about doing this modification to my car but before i do this i'd like some feedback.:read:

Also any recomendations on brands & best place to purchase?

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
If you have the coin then go with Kooks or American racing. Mac makes a quality piece for half the price which is the route I took. To say what you will pick up is hard to say but you will gain power thats for sure.

svtwes

Established Member
did you use the manifold gaskets it came with or did you purchase oem ones to go back with?? any leaks

2001blkR

Established Member
575 with stock manifolds on 18 lbs boost. After mac lts, made 598 at 17 lbs. Don't remember torque numbers. Found mine on eBay for 350 new a while back. It's worth it if you do it yourself. I wouldn't pay a shop 600 or so to do it. It's really not that bad if you drop the k member

svtwes

Established Member
I'll more than likely change the stock k member out for a tubular one while doing the headers, i hear this makes it easier to work on. Also sheds weight.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
575 with stock manifolds on 18 lbs boost. After mac lts, made 598 at 17 lbs. Don't remember torque numbers. Found mine on eBay for 350 new a while back. It's worth it if you do it yourself. I wouldn't pay a shop 600 or so to do it. It's really not that bad if you drop the k member

^ Agree it not bad to install headers if you drop the k-member. And I would not pay $600 to a shop to do it when it's not that hard to do. I would have done a tubular k-member when I did my heders if I had the extra cash but I will just drop the k-member again and do a tubular k-member swap when I buy one because it's not hard to drop k-member.

gibsonboy3000

Established Member
The gaskets are from Ford and I have no leaks. I went with the Lethal mid pipe and magnapacks cat back.

how does ur set up sound? i have magnapacks and im looking to do the same set up as u with mac headers and lethal midpipe... maybe a vid if u can...

Ralo

Established Member
Some people swear they help and others swear they don't. Over at modfords this was a recent topic and Eric Brooks said he hasn't seen enough gain to justify them he is from a good shop that does a lot of our cars. The owner of the shop that tuned my car had some on his but I'm not sure on his opinion of them.

greengt88

Established Member
Probably like heads and cams, not worth it unless u r trying to squeeze every last bit of power. Def. Worth it from a sound stand-point though. They do sound amazing!!

RussZTT

Established Member
I can't see spending that much money for those little gains. The ONLY way I would invest in headers if I were going to go with a big blower. Thats when you will see the real difference. IMHO, its a waste of money if you have an Eaton unless its ported with a good size shot on top.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I know everyone is talking peak numbers but I'm interested in the power gain/loss in the entire powerband.

Exactly! and that is where they shine. Peak numbers will vary, but longtubes will help fill out your power band. Torque will come in faster and have a broader curve, which is how you help accelerate the car.

Too many people get caught up in peak numbers, and they forget about buying parts that help the car perform. Performance is just like a puzzle.. get the right pieces together and the end result is much better :thumbsup:

venom04svt

Established Member
I picked up 37 peak rwhp on my car with a KB, but the real gains were complete across the rpm band, i lost about 1 psi of boost also but picked up power everywhere.. To me its worth it and i have BBK's.

Users who are viewing this thread