How would I know if my Mizere electric water pump is wired backwards?

notagt

Established Member
I have been having some cooling issues in my 03 Mach with a 03 Cobra motor. I have flushed after oil cooler failure, been burping, 50/50 coolant. Temps seem to swing around and not really steady with a 170 T stat. After a 3rd gear pull 212, then 188, then 181, etc. I am really not sure what is "normal" with Cobra cooling temps. Somedays I can remove crossover plug and coolant at the top, drive the car, next day have to add 8 oz. I have been burping for a week now and just had tuner change fan settings. My main question: If I remove crossover plug and standing in front of the car looking down into crossover, with electric water pump running (key on), what direction should coolant be flowing..front of car to back, or vice versa?? Thanks

SlowSVT

Established Member
The coolant flows out the head and into the block.

A water pump impeller won't work very well at all in reverse.

An electric water pump is not a great idea on a street car.

notagt

Established Member
The coolant flows out the head and into the block.

A water pump impeller won't work very well at all in reverse.

An electric water pump is not a great idea on a street car.

Yea I have been doing some checking and while motor was out I would have changed water pump, it came with the motor. So in simple terms, flow should come in from the rubber hose attached to the crossover, past the pug then down into block??

SlowSVT

Established Member
The coolant flows out the crossover onto the top of the rad, then out the bottom of the rad and into the bottom of the block.

notagt

Established Member
Update: Ok, verified coolant flow is out crossover to radiator. I left reservoir closed and took out crossover plug, with the car off, key on and and water pump running, flow was decent, but about every 15 seconds would suddenly overflow out plug. I noticed a very slight hissing noise at expansion tank, so I first put crossover plug back in, then I wrapped the crap out of threads (aluminum tank) with teflon tape, and put on a new cap. I then removed the thin overflow tube and put a good clamp on it. I then opened reservoir cap and it overflowed, as well as electric water pump was spinning, it would overflow out the reservoir. I turn the key off and fluid level in crossover drops back to normal. I still have small bubbles coming up out of crossover, so for peace of mind, gonna change T stat, make sure all hose clamps tight, then reburp and say hell with it and go with the flow lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread