how would a 98 cobra compare to a 03/04 mach1??

rideorange812

Established Member
I dont know much so these facts may not be true so dont flame but they both have a n/a cobra 300 hp motor right? so a 98 cobra would be better because its actually lighter than a new edge

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
get it ....with some gears and a few mods u wont be dissapointed

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
My lightly modded 98 (3.73s, Tuner, K&N, etc) ran dead even against a buddy's stock Mach 1...:shrug:

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The Mach has a better curve. Peak HP is about the same with the Cobra being a little higher in the RPM band.
Stock for stock Most Cobras will be high 13s where most Machs are low 13s

The Cobra may be a little lighter but the cars will feel about the same in normal driving.

Gears and a few bolt ons and you won't be totally disappointed.
It isn't that big of a step down IMO.

stang1101

Established Member
The Mach has a better curve. Peak HP is about the same with the Cobra being a little higher in the RPM band.
Stock for stock Most Cobras will be high 13s where most Machs are low 13s

The Cobra may be a little lighter but the cars will feel about the same in normal driving.

Gears and a few bolt ons and you won't be totally disappointed.
It isn't that big of a step down IMO.

Yea. I'm looking at 98 black vert with 13k miles for $11,100. Hows the ride quality in the cobras? rattles?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Yea. I'm looking at 98 black vert with 13k miles for $11,100. Hows the ride quality in the cobras? rattles?

I've only ridden in 1 Mach and My 96 didn't rattle much more than it did but I also had a good bit of suspension mods.

Same basic chassis, not much changed interior wise but quite a few years older and a vert. Expect a few rattles. lol

4.30s and other bolt ons you'll be happy.

stang1101

Established Member
how are the cluthes on these, heavy?? I did drive a 96 cobra once, but I think it had a bad clutch. It was super light and didn't engage until it was almost all the way up.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
how are the cluthes on these, heavy?? I did drive a 96 cobra once, but I think it had a bad clutch. It was super light and didn't engage until it was almost all the way up.

Leg cramps in traffic or on the start line waiting for the tree to come down is what I remember. lol

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Still have the stock clutch in mine and I don't find it heavy. No squeaks or rattles except for a couple of missing anti rattle clips on my front pads.

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
Are you serious? Please elaborate...

one of my best friends has both a 03 mach 1 and a 98 cobra, the mach is pretty much stock with a set of spin tech mufflers welded in. and his cobra has 3.73's jlt mid pipe and a cat-back. i have driven both and we have come to the conclusion that the mach was just the better of the two....

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
one of my best friends has both a 03 mach 1 and a 98 cobra, the mach is pretty much stock with a set of spin tech mufflers welded in. and his cobra has 3.73's jlt mid pipe and a cat-back. i have driven both and we have come to the conclusion that the mach was just the better of the two....

+1.

I had a 96 cobra and 03 mach 1. The mach only had intake and exhaust at the time with no tune or anything. The cobra was stock except filter. Honestly the 96 cant compare to the 03, the 03 seems faster hands down( IMO )

Users who are viewing this thread