How to test plug wires

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
when testing plug wires with an ohm meter what readings should i be getting as far as time to replace them i feel that some are getting worn and im getting readings 2.47, 3.49, 2.62, 3.21, and so on.. i herd that anything below 6.0 needs replaced is this true..8mm wires:shrug:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Never heard of testing them this way, but it makes sense. This would be some good tech to know, especially since I just replaced my wires.

FYI. Check your cap and rotor if you are not replacing them, or have not in a while. I decided to look at mine, and it is a good one with brass terminals, and there was corrosion build up on the contact points. I cleaned it up with a small steel wire brush and it is working like new.

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
Never heard of testing them this way, but it makes sense. This would be some good tech to know, especially since I just replaced my wires.

FYI. Check your cap and rotor if you are not replacing them, or have not in a while. I decided to look at mine, and it is a good one with brass terminals, and there was corrosion build up on the contact points. I cleaned it up with a small steel wire brush and it is working like new.

Thanks brother ill do that because they are about a year old..but yes i herd about this and from what i tested on both my Taurus and Mustang today they shouldn't even be running :??:

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
Foot x rated ohm from factory +/- 10% is how I'd do it. Never don't it that way though
i was mis led and found this.....
Rule of thumb is 1,000 ohms per foot for standard ignition wire and no wire should exceed 10,000 ohms. Touch one meter probe to one end of the spark plug wire metal clip and touch the other probe to the other end of the spark plug wire metal clip inside the rubber boots. Don't touch the metal ends of the probes with your fingers since human skin is a conductor and can affect meter readings. 20,000 ohm scale is the scale to use because it will measure between 10 ohms and 19,990 ohms. If the meter is auto ranging, just set it to auto range. If the meter is not auto ranging, than on the 20,000 ohm scale, a reading of 10.0 is 10,000 ohms. On a 20K range the readings would go from 0.001 (x 10000 = 10 ohms) to 19.99 (x 10000 = 19,990 ohms). Again, based on the rule of thumb, a one to two foot wire will display numbers between 1.0 and 2.0 on the 20,000 ohm scale. Digital ohm meters are very difficult to understand and read for most people. Old analog meters are the easiest to read and understand. And it is not necessary to condemn a wire in good condition measuring less than 10-feet if reading up to 10,000 ohms. I just prefer not to see more than 10,000 ohms resistance in any spark plug wire. Less than 10,000 ohms is OK, but there is no advantage to spark plug wires measuring less than 10,000 ohms unless they are solid wire.

And even if the spark plug wires test good, I prefer NOT to run the recommended Ford spark plug gap. If having to use a wide gap, than I prefer not to exceed 0.045-inch. The resistance of even a 0.035-inch gap is infinite, so a wire at 10,000 ohms is nothing compared to a spark plug gap:dw:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread