How to test GT500 coil packs

SCCA SM

Established Member
Just as the title says, how do you go about testing the coil packs in a gt500?

Everyone likes to talk about bad coils, but I've never seen how to find out if a coil is bad other than just replacing the coils and seeing if a problem goes away.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Well for ~$240 shipped you can get a set of ford racing coil packs (OEM coils in a ford racing box). Our cars luckily have no igniter built into each coil pack so they are much cheaper to replace. As a comparison, 1 coil pack on a Lexus RX300 is about $300 retail ona good day. For ONE coilpack.

If in doubt, replace em all.

nxhappy

Established Member
you check the resistance in OHMS and make sure they are in spec

SCCA SM

Established Member
Well for ~$240 shipped you can get a set of ford racing coil packs (OEM coils in a ford racing box). Our cars luckily have no igniter built into each coil pack so they are much cheaper to replace. As a comparison, 1 coil pack on a Lexus RX300 is about $300 retail ona good day. For ONE coilpack.

If in doubt, replace em all.

LOL, I know I can replace them all. my car has somewhere between 7200 and 7500 miles on it, cant remember. The coils shouldnt be trashed by any means, but i want to test them to try to diagnose an issue im having. Since the car has such low mileage, I would hope they are all legit. Coils shouldnt fail under 10k miles at all, but i want to test them before i drop 300 on new coils and plugs.

you check the resistance in OHMS and make sure they are in spec

I understand that they can be tested in ohms. However, i have read you can run multiple ohms tests on them and have never found a spec that they should be in or a spec that is normal tolerance. i have seen to measure the ohms between the 2 pins on the connectors, and also to measure the ohms between one of the pins and the bit that hits the top of the plug. I have also seen that you need some kind of special test tool and or an oscilloscope.

Can anyone point me in a more home located test before i give up and pay my ford dealer to test them?

Snoopy49

Established Member
COIL-ON-PLUG SPARK TESTER THX458

View attachment 2014 PCED JB Secondary Ignition.pdf

JB9 CHECK FOR SPARK AT ALL CYLINDERS
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Remove the fuel pump fuse to disable the fuel pump.
  • Disconnect the ignition coils from the spark plugs.
  • Connect the Adjustable Ignition Spark Tester THX458 or equivalent to the ignition coil boot.
  • Observe the spark tester at each cylinder while cranking the engine.
  • For the 6.2L engine,
  • Connect the ignition coils to the spark plugs.
  • Disconnect the exhaust spark plug wires from the spark plugs.
  • Connect the Adjustable Ignition Spark Tester THX458 or equivalent to the exhaust spark plug wire.
  • Observe the spark tester at each cylinder while cranking the engine.
  • Is a bluish-white spark consistent between all cylinders?

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Some coils will fail only went hot, and pass the test when cold. Perhaps, throw them in a preheated 250F oven, carefully without melting them, and check em hot!

Nsssane1

Established Member
Quick way is if you are getting a misfire code from a certain cyl, switch that coil with another cyl. if the code follows is that coil pack, if not something else.

Users who are viewing this thread