How to tell if it's a real Saleen

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
I'm going to look at a '96 Saleen that has a Vortech s/c and was wondering what are some items to tell if it's a real Saleen and not a Faleen? Should there be an "authenticity" plaque somewhere? Thanks.

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
I'm trying to get a Carfax done on it. Will let you guys know how it checks out.

Blaster77

Established Member
JohnsMyName said:
Check the vin #'s?

Depending on whether you buy a saleen cobra or just a saleen, the vins will have the matching vin

If it's a saleen cobra it will have a cobra vin

If it's a saleen it will have a v6 vin.

Not 100% sure on info above so correct me if I'm wrong

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i think there were only 10 cobras per year made from saleen, 96 and up.. i may be rong, but i think it says that in the cobra reg. guide. i know there is only 2 mystic cobra saleens out there, and 1 is in winston salem, if he still has it

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
What are some of the specs on a '96 Saleen? Engine wise mostly. They didn't have the DOHC did they? What is the stock rear end ratio?

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
the 2v's only had pulleys and stuff, wasnt much, and the only dohc was the cobra saleens... i think the gear was 3.08, maybe a 3.27

slow232

I
Established Member
very easy, if you have the vin just call saleen and give them the vin, they'll tell you.

People are selling the saleen plaques on ebay so assuming the car is real by just the plaque is not always good.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Depending on whether you buy a saleen cobra or just a saleen, the vins will have the matching vin

If it's a saleen cobra it will have a cobra vin

If it's a saleen it will have a v6 vin.

Not 100% sure on info above so correct me if I'm wrong

LMAO - It took a lot of guts to say that ... JK

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Saleen puts 3.55 gears in their cars

Check under the hood by the driver's side firewall for a plaque that has the same matching numbers as the front driver's side of the bumper and the plaque that is in front of the shifter, all of them should have the same number, Example: The plaque under the hood would say for example 96-0118, the one in front of the shifter will say 96-0118 and the one on the bumper will say 118 or 0118 (cant remember how it exactly shows on the bumper)

Other things you would want to check is to see if the kit is urethane or fiberglass, push against it lightly or pull very lightly to see if it's flexible like urethane or hard like fiberglass

If the kit is hard like fiberglass (also knock against it like you would to a door to see if it's fiberglass) than the kit is not an original kit

Goodluck :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
+1 You can do this too, call Saleen in Irvine and ask for Liz.. like that you can also find out if the car was originally supercharged and what other options it came with

slow232 said:
very easy, if you have the vin just call saleen and give them the vin, they'll tell you.

People are selling the saleen plaques on ebay so assuming the car is real by just the plaque is not always good.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Yeah I would call Saleen and run the Vin's - to be 100%. I remember looking at a 96 "Saleen Cobra" that has just the bodykit and I was like "Are you ****ing serious?"

ragu1585

Game Over
Established Member
im thinkin that the vin is the only way you know if its a true saleen or not in those years.. if it was newer i beleive you can check to see if its got the saleen c pillars, i beleive they are not available to the public from saleen due to them tryin to keep people from playin it off as a fake or not

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Available or not, i happen to know someone who makes those pillars ;-)

ragu1585 said:
im thinkin that the vin is the only way you know if its a true saleen or not in those years.. if it was newer i beleive you can check to see if its got the saleen c pillars, i beleive they are not available to the public from saleen due to them tryin to keep people from playin it off as a fake or not

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
The best way to tell is to just call Saleen. Back when I was looking for one, I called about a couple and they let me know if it was legit or not.

Users who are viewing this thread