How to replace drive belt in a '99?

webgirlsarefun

Established Member
Unlike the '03, using a 1/2" socket w/o the socket won't work on a '99 'cause the hole in the tensioner isn't square...it's round. Wtf.

Has anyone changed their belt on their '99 - how did you do it...as in, how did you loosen the :cuss: tensioner? Any tricks or anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

Dana

Jerrod

Established Member
I had to buy a new tensioner the other day. The newly produced ones have the square hole for the breaker bar. When I did have the old one I used a long sturdy screwdriver inserting the tip from the driver's side to the passenger side. Next you need to pry down on the tensioner arm using the guard that would keep the belt from flying off as your fulcrum. So in essence you should be pushing down on the screwdriver handle as if it was attached to the tensioner arm. Then just slip the belt up and off of the alternator pulley. If you haven't put one on before I highly suggest you poke the belt through the gap on top of the tensioner pulley and below the idler pulley to the AC pulley. Then route everything else except the alternator pulley, leaving it for last. It's a snap after you get the hang of it. Hope this helps.

falconetti

IDK
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerrod
I had to buy a new tensioner the other day. The newly produced ones have the square hole for the breaker bar. When I did have the old one I used a long sturdy screwdriver inserting the tip from the driver's side to the passenger side. Next you need to pry down on the tensioner arm using the guard that would keep the belt from flying off as your fulcrum. So in essence you should be pushing down on the screwdriver handle as if it was attached to the tensioner arm. Then just slip the belt up and off of the alternator pulley. If you haven't put one on before I highly suggest you poke the belt through the gap on top of the tensioner pulley and below the idler pulley to the AC pulley. Then route everything else except the alternator pulley, leaving it for last. It's a snap after you get the hang of it. Hope this helps.

where did you buy it, and how much was it. just wondering

Jerrod

Established Member
I bought the tensoiner from the Greenway Ford dealership in Orlando. It cost right at 70 bucks and a few cents and installs in about 15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread