How To Replace Brake Pads?

2xlr8

Established Member
Calgary, Canada - summer is too short here!
Does anyone have detailed instructions for the neophyte on how to replace the Cobra brake pads? (I've never done any brake work before!)

I had some HP + pads installed for roadcourse racing and they work great. Unfortunately they squeak badly and I'd like to run with stock pads while on the street if it's not too much trouble to change the pads.

Thanks in advance!

:shrug:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Front only or both? The front is cake. The rears are tougher.

Front, just take off the e-clip holding the pin at the front of each caliper. Knock the pin out, then just pivot the caliper up and out of the bracket. Swap out the pads. Put it back on, don't forget the anti rattle clips on the edge of the pad. I'd get replacement hardware from NAPA for new pins, clips and anti rattle clips to put it back on, but that's me. You could reuse the old ones.

2xlr8

Established Member
Calgary, Canada - summer is too short here!
Thanks for your help.

I would also like to swap the rear pads. From your note it sounds as though the rear pads may be more of a challenge.

Any tips on the rear?

Special tools needed?

Thanks again for tolerating newbie questions.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The rear pads take a caliper tool if the new pads are too thick. The piston turns to move it in, you can't just push it back with a big c-clamp or whatever. Leslie sells one that Pepboys has. It loks loke a 1/2 thick round piece of steel with a socket hole in the middle and two tetth sticking out the turn the caliper. It's still a pain, but you probably won't have to turn it much.

sonic77

Established Member
Here's a pic of the tool I use for the rears. Those pistons are a real pain to turn without it!

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
not to hijack the thread or anything but I was told that I need to lube the slide pin to stop the caliper from creaking.

What lube should I use?

Poison_S

Established Member
Good thread and information on the brake pad change.

:thumbsup:

I too had the Hawk HP + pads on the car for the SVT Experience at Waterford Hills. Man did those pads sqeak! I had the stock pads re-installed once i got back. The main reason though was that the Ford dealer told me that if I had any future brake problems, leaving the aftermarket pads in would affect warranty claims. So I took them out till I figure out what, if any, brake upgrades I want to do.

sonic77

Established Member
I think I got that one at NAPA. I've seen autozone and some other places have the same thing but it comes in a kit. The kit comes with another compression tool and bunch of different sized adapters.

Originally posted by 03'Darin
Where did you get that?

Last edited:

snakeyes

Established Member
Originally posted by temjin9876
not to hijack the thread or anything but I was told that I need to lube the slide pin to stop the caliper from creaking.

What lube should I use?

Synthetic brake grease. A little goes a long way.

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by sonic77
I think I got that one at NAPA. I've seen autozone and some other places have the same thing but it comes in a kit. The kit comes with another compression tool and bunch of different sized adapters.

:thumbsup: U 2!!

CWCobra

Established Member
Beware using Motorcraft pads!! On my last two Cobra brake jobs, the Motorcraft replacement pads I used delaminated in less than 500 miles. The backing rings came off that hold the pads to the pistons. Another friend of mine had brake failure yesterday in his '97 Cobra approx. 2 months after Ford dealership brake job - again using Motorcraft pads. I suspect defective supplier to Motorcraft. I have since stopped using Motorcraft, gone to el cheapo Autozone pads. No more problems.

Later,
CW

Users who are viewing this thread