How to: Replace anti-rattle clips.

d-nice

Established Member
This is an really easy job to do. I though that I would do a little write up on it.

This was an annoying noise. Every time I hit a bump I would here a clank. Here is the noise before the fix.
th_DSCN1182.jpg

So here it goes.

This is all the you need. The hook is not necessary but I used it to spin the c-clip around so I could pop it off easier. I used the brake quite but I'm not sure its needed. The kit comes with the pins, spring clips and c-clips.
DSCN1188.jpg

First off loosen the lug nuts and then you know the drill. Jack the car up and support it with some jack stands. <-- PLEASE USE THE STANDS!
DSCN1186.jpg

Then turn the wheel so that the caliper is more easily accessible. The brake caliper comes off easy. Just locate the pin and pull the c-clip off of it. For good measure I always put one or two of the lug nuts back on to hold the rotor.
c-clipcopy.jpg

Pull the pin out.
DSCN1192.jpg

Pull on the caliper up and out. Be careful not to put too much stress on the brake line.
DSCN1194.jpg

I rested the caliper on the rotor but be careful not to let the caliper fall. Pull the clips off. You should be able to get them loose with your fingers but if not you can use the screwdriver to get them off.
DSCN1195.jpg

Just pop in the new clips into the pads in the same direction the as old ones were in.
DSCN1199.jpg

Here are the new clips and the old clips side by side. The new clips don't have the rubber inside but they seem to be a bit stronger.
clips.jpg

I used the brake quite where the brake pads and clips meet the caliper and on the caliper pin bolt.

Now all you have to do is slide the caliper back on the rotor, re-install the pin bolt back into the grove (may require a little force) and install the washer and c-clip. Your done. :pepper:

Now take her out for a drive and enjoy one less noise.

Last edited:

03mgtermi

Established Member
good write up. should be a lot of help to new cobra owners who think something is wrong with their car.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Awesome thread, thanks for showing this.
Question, Do the old clips just get worn out or something?
The new ones look about the same as the old one's that you pulled off the caliper...
Thanks

d-nice

Established Member
Awesome thread, thanks for showing this.
Question, Do the old clips just get worn out or something?
The new ones look about the same as the old one's that you pulled off the caliper...
Thanks

The new ones are heavier than the old ones. I do think that the brake pads have something to do with it.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
FYI: Autozone appears to have discontinued the anti-rattle clips. I went to get H5800 and none of the bags have the clips, even though their stock picture still shows them.

Napa had them in stock. Part # UP 83014A

Last edited:

d-nice

Established Member
I really think that the best way to make sure that you have the correct part with AZ is to order the part online. I have them send me the clips, pins and c-clips via the website and all was good.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
It seems that nobody puts the rubber parts back in the anti-rattle clips anymore. They are not bonded to the old clips and can be re-used. They are expensive and hard for your parts guy to find at the Ford dealership. You do NOT want to throw them away.

As far as that goes, anything spring steel like these anti-rattle clips just lose primary tension over time (and over repeated heat/cool cycles), but do not permanently deform. Just keep your old black original clips, bend them out (or re-tension them, your preference) and re-install. The Cobra pads need a lot of tension on those clips when re-installing, to avoid rattling.

Been there, done that, got the keychain and the t-shirt...many, many years ago.

Gidyyup

No more rattle from front end brake calipers

My 04 Cobra Convertible rattled over bumps & uneven surfaces. The symptoms sounded like what many of you described. A very "03/04 Cobra-experienced" Ford dealership service rep & his tech's were unable to identify the source of the rattle & suggested I replace an inner tie rod end.

After reading the thread discussion here, I checked the clips & found they were in place. But rather than go ahead with the inner tie rod end replacement, I installed a new set of clips (using the brake hardware kit from Napa, Part Number: UP 83014A - cost about $11).

That did the trick. No more rattle. The old clips had evidently lost sufficient spring strength. I also removed the rubber inserts from the original clips and put them in the new clips w/no fitment problems.

Thanks to all who took the time to explain the clip issue - you saved me time, money (about $400 savings) & frustration.

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
Wanted to let you guys know that Auto Zone still carries these. I called Napa first because that's where I normally get my parts but they couldn't have a set for me until Monday. I tried AZ for the hell of it and they had one set in stock for 7.99 Comes with new clips and pins for both sides

x25064

Established Member
I just did this 30 minutes ago. It cured most of the railway car noise but when I hit a good pothole, bump, manhole cover, etc, I still get a slight rattle. Any idea on what I should do to correct this?

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Thanks for the write-up and the detailed pictures. I have cobra brakes on my car and this noise really gets on my nerves everytime I hit a bump on the road. I will try to fix that this coming weekend.

musclefan21

Established Member
BUMP!

I will try this tomorrow and hopefully this will take care of the problem. it is embarrassing to drive by people in this badass car and have that kind of noise come from it...

d-nice

Established Member
A while after I did the clip swap the noise came back and I decided to change the front brakes to a new set to see if that was the problem. As I suspected, the dealership that changed the brakes before I purchased the car put the pads in the wrong way. They had the two inside pads on the passenger side and the two outside pads on the drivers side (maybe vise versa I cant remember). I think this was my initial problem. The inside pads are a different width than the outside pads, which meant the driver side brake caliper had too much play which led to a weakening of the clips and the noise. It does makes a difference how the pads are put in regarding the pad size. So it's been about two years now since the change and I can just make out the noise again.

I think that JoeAsheville is right about the heat cycles on the brakes. They get extremely hot after driving around.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I just replaced my rear pads and rotors and I get a noise regardless if i'm hitting bumps or not..it's not a really loud noise, but a noise nonetheless..it's almost like the pads are rubbing against the rotor ..hard to describe the sound. I'm sorta stumped at what might be causing this...rotors are slotted and cross drilled. It's only noticeable at higher speeds. The brakes themselves don't squeal when I use them and stop great. I just re-used what was on the original pads when I put the new pads back in...could this be the issue?

Last edited:

Franco

Established Member
Bump.... Have been chasing this noise for 3 months.
FYI autozone still has the kit in stock.
Took it for a ride after I replaced the hardware and ahhhhh silence. Thanks op great write up

Users who are viewing this thread