How to remove vert top?

wjjeeper

Established Member
Anyone have a write up, or can give me a quick overview of unbolting a vert top with frame for replacement?

wjjeeper

Established Member
that's a helpful post.
So do the rear interior panels have to come off first? Where do you just "start doing it"?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
start by removing the rear seat cushion and backrest
then remove the quarter trim panels
then remove the well liner, but mark the center of the tack strip and the top
remove the top from the tack strips arund the well
disconnect the cable&springs
disconnect teh hydraulic rams from the top linkage
unbolt top linkage from car
remove top assembly

i hope you're not thinking of taking it off and putting it back on yourself. you'll never get it back on without wrinkles.

on edit:i'd also take a really good measurement from the header bow [the one with thel latches] to the main bow and from the well to the main bow [the one by the back window]

i've not looked at an sn95 vert up close enough to notice if the rear curtain is separate or not. if it is, then the rear curtain comes out as well [its the part wih the back window]

Last edited:

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
SheblyGuy is right, let an experienced shop do it. And the top does have a separate rear curtain. I replaced my parchment top with a black one and was going to save the money and do it myself as I consider myself pretty handy and have done a lot of custom type interior work. After looking into it I gladly handed over a check for the labor, something I have a hard time doing.

Jason

spp114

Established Member
Don't do it yourself. Take it somewhere that knows what they're doing. I really f'd one up on my old LX 5.0.

MountainDew

Do the Dew!
Established Member
that's a helpful post.
So do the rear interior panels have to come off first? Where do you just "start doing it"?

Sorry lol Shelbyguy is correct though. Take out the seats then remove the pannels. Pay attention to where screws go and such. I put them in bags as I went and labeled them.

For everyone whose said to pay someone to do it, don't listen to them. I did it in my garage and while it took me about 8 hours start to finish, it was well worth it. My top looks great and I have zero problems. FWIW, I had zero experience doing it too. Top tip, get yourself a GOOD stapler. You'll definitely have to get a powered one because a manual one will wear yourself out. Do not cheap out on this!

wjjeeper

Established Member
We seem to have gone off the track here guys. As per my original post I'm looking to replace the frame with the top.... unbolt one and bolt in the new one. No?

Users who are viewing this thread