How To Remove Trunklid?

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
In my never ending quest to make my Cobra a spoiler delete car, I finally found a good V6 trunklid for a mere $40. Needs to be painted, but I don't care about that. However, I was looking at my car the other day, and I'm not quite sure how I remove the trunk lid to put this new one on, when I get it. It looks like it unbolts in a couple of spots, but there doesn't seem to be a nice plug for the wiring harness so either I have to cut everything, or remove it somewhere else. Has anyone done this before? :??:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I have removed my trunklid and spoiler before. Spoiler removed because the gasket was falling out, so I fixed it. In process, lost a nut down a hole in the trunklid, so I had to pull the whole thing and turn it upside down to get it out. Tried magnetic tools and everything before doing that.

You have to unbolt/remove the struts in the trunk and unbolt it everywhere you see a bolt (mine were all painted blue, it was sprayed over) on the back of the trunklid. Be careful after you remove the struts, the trunk will like to keep falling on your head!

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
I have removed my trunklid and spoiler before. Spoiler removed because the gasket was falling out, so I fixed it. In process, lost a nut down a hole in the trunklid, so I had to pull the whole thing and turn it upside down to get it out. Tried magnetic tools and everything before doing that.

You have to unbolt/remove the struts in the trunk and unbolt it everywhere you see a bolt (mine were all painted blue, it was sprayed over) on the back of the trunklid. Be careful after you remove the struts, the trunk will like to keep falling on your head!

Thanks! But what about that wiring harness? Where does it unplug? :??:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
there's a couple of screws holding the 3rd brakelight in, I believe they are small screws. If the clip connector isn't behind the decklid, then it's behind the 3rd brake light.

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Thanks Mike! It sounds pretty easy to do. I'm hoping the new one lines up OK and all... :)

YoungJim

Established Member
There's a connector for the harness, IIRC its near the left rear shock tower. Just follow the harness, its in there.

jking32

Established Member
you do not have to unbolt the struts. Take a small screwdriver and lift the clip that holds the top of the strut on and they should pop off with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread