how to remove P/S on a 03 cobra motor

justav6

BRING IT<DONT SING IT
Established Member
ditching the power steering pump, what is the easy way to eliminate the PS pump on these motors? also the ac compressor as well. if anyone want these units you are more than happy to take them and keep them,, comming off a 1996 cobra with a 04 termi motor with 22k miles? lol let me know

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
a/c is easy....drain the system and yank it all out! pump is only 3/4 bolts. but you need an a/c eliminator pulley.

the p/s is another story. the p/s and brakes use the booster and they are all connected. so you would have to figureout how to re-route or make lines to ditch the p/s and keep the power brakes unless your willing to go manual brakes.

I just did all of this the last 2 months. manual rack, manual brakes...a/c was ditched 2 years ago thougn.

GrayGhost03

Established Member
the ps pump has two 10mm bolts holding it on the bottom. one you can get one of the bolts using a socket and ratchet, the other you will need a wrench cuz the hose is in the way. the wrench bolt is a pita.

justav6

BRING IT<DONT SING IT
Established Member
a/c is easy....drain the system and yank it all out! pump is only 3/4 bolts. but you need an a/c eliminator pulley.

the p/s is another story. the p/s and brakes use the booster and they are all connected. so you would have to figureout how to re-route or make lines to ditch the p/s and keep the power brakes unless your willing to go manual brakes.

I just did all of this the last 2 months. manual rack, manual brakes...a/c was ditched 2 years ago thougn.

going manual brakes. and manual rack, no need of the AC, PS,.

justav6

BRING IT<DONT SING IT
Established Member
then its easy...just rip it all out!!

i dropped about 70lbs w/ my swap

ok,thanks!!, also is the steering pump right next to the oil filter? lower driver side,correct? and as for the AC is the one on the lower left side of the passenger correct?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
ok,thanks!!, also is the steering pump right next to the oil filter? lower driver side,correct? and as for the AC is the one on the lower left side of the passenger correct?

correct.

doing this you will have to get an electric wp also you know...

SlowSVT

Established Member

How bearable is the steering effort?

justav6

BRING IT<DONT SING IT
Established Member
correct.

doing this you will have to get an electric wp also you know...

wallah! my motor has a electric waterpump!..as of right now, i took the front bracket off, passenger pulley tensioner,all dummy pulleys,and now i need to take out the power steering.. oh and everything is for sale what i took off.. 100$ who ever needs them! thanks svt!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
How bearable is the steering effort?

haha...depends on your definition of bearable. with 18" wheels and 275 kdw tires...its a bit rough. Im prob going to get my fr500s cut down to 4 or 5" width to take some meat off the roadway. if your running a small tire its pretty easy to turn.

SlowSVT

Established Member
haha...depends on your definition of bearable. with 18" wheels and 275 kdw tires...its a bit rough. Im prob going to get my fr500s cut down to 4 or 5" width to take some meat off the roadway. if your running a small tire its pretty easy to turn.

Yea, I think I'm going this route. I've ditched (or planning on ditching since It's still in the building phase) all the rear accessories other then the water pump drive (will make my own linear tensioner). There is about 30 lbs of mass just on the power breaks, brackets and pump alone and I'm trying to get a better balance front-to-rear

I don't mind loosing the pwr brakes but the pwr steering will be missed. My 72 340 Challenger had no power steering and you had to "wrench" on the wheel when parking or slow maneuvers :whine:

May look into an electric power steering pump off an MR2 which the import guys have been using. My cars is more set-up for road racing so skinnies are not an option for me. Perhaps we can collaborate on this when I get around to the steering gear.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread