How to remove etched water spots?

LocoGT

Banned
Well, it looks like these spots are etched onto the glass. They were on the car when I bought it so no idea how long they have been there.

I have tried vinegar, Barkeeper's friend & even had the body shop try to buff em out w/no luck.

Anyone have any idea on how I can get rid of them? :shrug: :cryying: :cuss:

Juiced-03

Established Member
I deal with that all the time at work. It sounds like steel wool and ammonia isn't going to cut it. What you may have to do is clay the window first then take a high speed rotary buffer with a cutting or wool pad with some heavy cut compound. That always gets them out but you have to be patient! Or you could just pay detail shop to do it for you. They will come out, but you might need the experience of a professional.

LocoGT

Banned
Juiced-03 said:
I deal with that all the time at work. It sounds like steel wool and ammonia isn't going to cut it. What you may have to do is clay the window first then take a high speed rotary buffer with a cutting or wool pad with some heavy cut compound. That always gets them out but you have to be patient! Or you could just pay detail shop to do it for you. They will come out, but you might need the experience of a professional.
Eh, not really wanting to have anyone touch my car. I was worrying when it was in for paint for the hatch for 2 weeks. I am going to try the Nu-Glass stuff from Duragloss. I hear it works great.

The body shop already tried the compound w/the buffer I believe.

I'm afraid I'll scratch the windows w/steel wool. =/

00SVTlightning

F8LSTRKE
Established Member
Can you run your nail along the glass and feel them? Is it possible the spots could be under the window tint?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I'm gonna sound like a broken record:

Blue Magic Paste. It not only removes water spots, it also cleans and protects. I use it to clean paint, glass, plastic, hell, even the calcium deposits on the glass of my shower stall in the master bath. :bowdown:

LocoGT

Banned
I tried Nu-Glass from www.duragloss.com & 0000 Steel wool out this weekend. The Nu-Glass stuff works! It required a lot of elbow grease, but it worked. The steel wool DID scratch my glass up though.

I hit the windows w/some polishing compound though & I think that helped. I need to wait for a day when the sun is hitting the glass at the right angle to be sure that most scratches are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread