How to recognize coated headers

LivingEZ

Established Member
Hey all, I am not sure if this has been asked, I have looked through the archives and can't seem to find any info. How do you recognize coated headers vs uncoated after they have been ran on a vehicle.

Side note I called kooks today, and there are no differences between 07-14 gt500 headers. What constitutes the part # difference is the o2-A/F sensor extensions that's it.

Just bought these

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415_170122_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_170122_eBay.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 43

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Non coated headers will show color distortion after running them. Most Ceramic coated headers will have a thick Grey color.

The extension would likely be different from 07-10 the. From 11/12 and 13/14 true wide band.

LivingEZ

Established Member
So the headers in the pic look to be a non coated stainless? If not coated I was considering getting them coated.

LivingEZ

Established Member
These are my Kooks and X pipe that that been Ceramic coated
Those look great!
@LivingEZ

Thanks I have sourced it out locally (powdertech). I try to keep my money local when I can though my options are more limited( silver, black and cast iron grey) I'll probably go with....

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Unless they are getting the coating inside the primaries, you should be able to notice a difference just looking inside vs outside, no?

LivingEZ

Established Member
Unless they are getting the coating inside the primaries, you should be able to notice a difference just looking inside vs outside, no?

Not sure, from what I have learned any discoloring is an indication that they are not coated, I have also found out that most places coat both the inside and outside, unless they have been ran on a vehicle then they recommend just doing the outside.as they can't guarantee the inside was clean enough for adhesion.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Not sure, from what I have learned any discoloring is an indication that they are not coated, I have also found out that most places coat both the inside and outside, unless they have been ran on a vehicle then they recommend just doing the outside.as they can't guarantee the inside was clean enough for adhesion.
Mine are coated inside and out, just not polished on the inside obviously

Users who are viewing this thread