how to protect an autograph

P51 GT

mustangsofburlington.com
Established Member
Hey Guys,
Still relatively new around here, but I had a quick question. I recently met Chip Foose and was able to have him sign the dash of my 01 GT(passenger side dash). I would like to keep it looking new, so I was wondering what I could put on it to protect it and keep it from fading. TIA

03roush

01 Roush Stage 3 #106
Established Member
Leave it alone and don't touch it, that is what us Roush owners do when Jack Roush signs our cars.

oldmodman

Established Member
Do you park you car where the sun can shine directly on the signature?

If you do I would suggest doing what a friend did with Shelby's sig on the glovebox door on his car.

He always carried a couple of sheets of thick white typing paper and a roll of blue paper tape in the car. And when he would park the paper got taped over the door to keep the sun off. And the blue tape would never damage the dash.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
wonder if you can take the piece out and have a body shop spray a clear over it...Or buy a clear rattle can and spray it

P51 GT

mustangsofburlington.com
Established Member
Do you park you car where the sun can shine directly on the signature?

If you do I would suggest doing what a friend did with Shelby's sig on the glovebox door on his car.

He always carried a couple of sheets of thick white typing paper and a roll of blue paper tape in the car. And when he would park the paper got taped over the door to keep the sun off. And the blue tape would never damage the dash.

I try to keep it out of the sun and I always use a sunshade. I might have to consider going the clearcoat route.

S197man

Established Member
But wouldn't clearcoat make that one part of the dash shinier that all of the rest? Would look kinda funky.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Hrmmm it would huh...You can take the piece off and cut out the autograph and backmask the rest so you just hit the clearcoat on just the writing. Know what i'm saying?

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
I would leave it alone and protect it.You start messing with clearcoat on plastic and
who knows what will happen???

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
for all this trouble..u should told him to sign inside the glove box:banana:

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
Just use a sunshade when parked outside, and don't touch it for anything other than gently wiping dust off the area. It should be fine for as long as the car lasts you.

P51 GT

mustangsofburlington.com
Established Member
Just use a sunshade when parked outside, and don't touch it for anything other than gently wiping dust off the area. It should be fine for as long as the car lasts you.

yeah I appreciate all the feedback. I think I'll just leave it alone. I don't want to take any chances and ruin it or my dash. Thanks for the input everyone.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I like the idea of covering it up with a piece of paper when you are parked. It may look corny, but it will protect it from the sun.

Users who are viewing this thread