How-to: Paint your stock Mustang rims. *DUW*

strickensix

Whistlin'
Established Member
If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it. However, this how-to can be used on any type of Mustang, or car for that matter of fact.

Disclaimer: The following write-up is how I painted my stock Mustang rims. The following process may not be for everyone and/or your application.

Painting your stock wheels can be a cheap, and great way to enhance the exterior look of your ride. In order to do this, you will need to take your time and be careful.

I advise anyone following this tutorial to read the directions on the back of each spray paint can! Make sure you follow these directions/guidelines while painting.

In this tutorial, I will go over how to paint 2 rims at a time, not all 4.

Total time needed: ~5 hours

What you'll need:
1 - Duplicolor Sandable Primer
2 - Duplicolor Engine Enamel
1 - Duplicolor Wheel Coating, Clear
2 - Rubbing alcohol
Emery cloths (rough and fine)
Cotton face mask
Clear glasses
Latex gloves
Gloves
Masking painters tape
A bunch of newspaper

DSCF0006Small.jpg

Time to start! If you are doing this outside, make sure its nice, warm, and sunny out with low humidity. Also, make sure its not to windy out.

Step 1: Raise the vehicle up and securely support the car on jack stands. I just started with the front 2 wheels. Secure the back wheels by blocking them off. Remove the front 2 wheels.

DSCF0003Small.jpg

Step 2: Pop off the center caps before starting to sand. Then, sand the area you wish to paint. Use the rough emery cloth to scuff up the area. The goal is to get the area uniform in sanding so it'll look cloudy, and make sure there is no reflectiveness left in the wheel.

DSCF0009Small.jpg

DSCF0010Small.jpg

Step 3: Thoroughly wash the rims! You want to get every piece of dirt and dust off of the rim at this point. I washed the rims first with regular soap and water, then used the rubbing alcohol. Make sure they are then completely dry.

Step 4: Mask off the areas you do NOT want to paint! This is a very important step so take your time. Then cover the areas with newspaper to protect from over spray. Make sure the valve stem is tapped up, unless you want that painted as well.

DSCF0011Small.jpg

Time to start painting with the primer!

Step 5: Hold the spray paint sandable primer about 8-10" away from the wheel. Start spraying in short little bursts. You want to get a very light coat on the wheel.

DSCF0012Small.jpg

Step 6: Wait about 10 minutes, then apply another layer of primer

DSCF0013Small.jpg

Step 7: Wait another 10 minutes and spray 1 more layer of primer, a medium "wet" coat. A medium "wet" coat is thicker than a light coat and the rim should have a wet look to it.

This is a total of 3 coats of primer.

Step 8: Allow about 30 minutes for the primer to dry before painting or wet sanding. If you have runs, or unevenness in your paint, you will want to wet sand the rims with a high grit sandpaper for the paint will be uniform.

Time to start painting with the engine enamel!

Step 9: After the rims is completely dry (if you wet sanded), spray and light coat of engine enamel over the rims. And by light, I mean very light. Just spray in short bursts. Wait about 10 minutes before another coat.

DSCF0015Small.jpg

Step 10: Spray the rims with another light coat of engine enamel. Wait 10 minutes before another coat.

Step 11:
Apply the 3rd layer of paint. This layer is going to be a medium "wet" coat. Spray it on a little heavier than before, giving it a slight wet look. Again, spray in bursts, do not spray continously.

DSCF0017Small.jpg

Step 12:
After waiting about 20-30 minutes, apply the 4th and final layer of paint. This is another medium "wet" coat. Spray on heavier than a light coat and so the rim looks wet.

DSCF0018Small.jpg

Finally, spraying on the clear coat!

Step 13:
After waiting about 20 minutes, spray on a light coat of clear coat. Again, spray in short bursts and hold the can 8-10" away.

Step 14: Wait about 10 minutes, and spray on another light coat of clear coat.

Step 15: Wait about 10 minutes, and spray on your 3rd and final layer of clear coat. This is going to be a medium "wet" coat. Spray so the rim gets a wet look, but not to much. You don't want the paint to run.

DSCF0020Small.jpg

Step 16:
Remove the tape and newspaper will the paint is still drying. If you wait for the paint to completely dry, you run the risk of having the paint chip off when removing the tape.

Enjoy your newly painted rims! Allow 3-4 hours before handling. It takes about 7 days for the paint to fully cure.

For the back 2 wheels, just repeat this same process for them!

DSCF0021Small.jpg

DSCF0022Small.jpg

DSCF0023Small.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

EDIT: Pictures of the finished thing.

Front 2 rims on.
DSCF0039Small.jpg

DSCF0041Small.jpg

All 4 rims on.
DSCF0053Small.jpg

Last edited:

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
looks great and awesome write up!! i did the same thing to mine in december...

painted them a little differently tho..
cpcobra88.gif

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
thanks, i meant i only painted it different than you did, only the spokes i left the anthracite area by the lug nuts and the outer rim where the spokes hit..

But you did a great job with the write up and your rims turned out great!!

Users who are viewing this thread