'How To' on tracking down vacuum leak?

hmwave

Established Member
Does anyone have (or can provide) a methodical, step by step write-up of tracking down potential vacuum leaks?

I mean leaks in tubing, connectors, etc rather than the likes of a full leakdown test, e.g. instructions for what to look for, what to spray (carb cleaner, brake cleaner?) and where, what to listen for, etc.

May be related, maybe not, but my 2003 is making a quite audible but not loud whistling sound at idle that can be heard from the cabin with the windows up. I think it's coming from the clutch area but could be from the the engine compartment.

Basically just looking for a write-up of the A-Z of tracking down any leaks.

Thanks.

boston2k4

deploy much?
Established Member
now i dont know if you want to go this route but to find vaccum leaks on vehicles i work on in the "sanbox" i let the problem child idle then get a can of brake cleaner, carb cleaner or starting fluid(something flammable). then i lightly mist all the connection points and line if the engine picks up some rpms on wherever you sprayed there it is.

im curious of the other maybe safer methods for supercharged aplications.

joeschmoemmix

Vigilant
Established Member
when i had my 6 cylinder, i had a vacuum leak and couldnt find it. i used carb and choke and it basically "told" me where exactly the leak was. apparently the new ported heads I had bought for it werent perfect and had to be refinished. i also did a smoke test which revealed the leak as well.

but that was my 6 cylinder, and it was a complete waste of my money.

metaman

Established Member
You need to run your fingers along all of the vacuum lines you can see first. Sometimes this is the easiest way to find it. You could also have a blown boost bypass actuator which will also cause a vacuum leak. The other line that can go without warning is the line that goes from the PVC down to underneath the intake. You can't reach that one.

dirtydave289

Established Member
The line you're talking about that you can't reach behind the blower from the pcv - how would you check/repair it? I keep thinking I hear a leak then can't ever find it and it sounds like it's coming from there.

Users who are viewing this thread