How to on gridning the rear tie rod knuckles...

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I am looking at grinding down my rear tie rod knuckles tonight in order to fit a set of 15" rims back there for the track on Sunday. I will take the camera with and take some pictures while I do this. I know a lot of people are concerned with 15" tires fitting around the brakes. These clear fine, it's just the knuckle that rubs. I'll try and post up pictures tonight or tomorrow night since the tires won't be mounted until tomorrow.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Ok, just got back from working on this. The more I started to grind, the more I was getting concerned I was doing the wrong thing. There is a lot of meat on those knuckles, but it looks like you take too much off. I think there is still plenty there to keep the integrity of the tie rod. The work took a total of 2.5 hours from start to finish. Most of the work was spent on the first wheel (passenger side) and taking my time. I didn't want to grind off more than I should, so I did A LOT of test fits with the rim. Here is the final results (ignore the rust around the hubs :fm: ) :

The rims:
DSCF0322.jpg

Rim width:
DSCF0323.jpg

Passenger side knuckle:
DSCF0324.jpg

Drivers side close up:
DSCF0334.jpg

Before the grinding:
DSCF0325.jpg

Final grind:
DSCF0329.jpg

Again:
DSCF0328.jpg

I didn't end up getting any of the rim on the car showing the clearance, I completely forgot. There is probably 1/8" clearance all the way around the knuckle from the rim. I will have the ET Streets mounted on the rims tomorrow, and take it for a quick ride to make sure there is no rubbing. I don't want to find out the hard way at the track Sunday.

Basically take your time on the first knuckle. As you can see, I slipped a few times with the grinder and caught the boot. Luckily I didn't cut through it. Once you get the first one done, the 2nd one will be a breeze. It will seem like you are taking off quite a bit, and as you can see you are, but I don't feel it's too much. I'll update this once I get the wheels mounted on it tomorrow. Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Couple more I took today. Took it for a ride and everything went good except for losing my wheel lock key and finding it 1/2 mile from the house :bash:

DSCF0335.jpg

The clearance if you can see it:
DSCF0336.jpg

More clearance:
DSCF0337.jpg

DSCF0338.jpg

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
No way in the world it would be cheaper to buy 16" wheels:

Already had the ET Streets from my LX
Borrowed the grinder

New 16" rims - $50-$150
16" ET Streets - $300
Total: $250-$450

Trying to work with what I have. If I don't have to buy more than I need, I won't. Yes it would have been smarter to get the 16" rims and tires, but I just don't have the money laying around right now. I suppose spacers would have worked too, but I don't like the idea of spacers on the car. I'd say try this first if you already have the 15" rims laying around. If you don't have the rims and tires, I would do it right and go with the 16's. Hope this helps :beer:

Chris

Last edited:

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
chris - hey its green93notch from superchargerhelp! how've ya been?! hows the car coming along? i did the same thing to my car to fit welds onto from my buddys SS camaro. they fit and am looking to use them this year when i get my level 5 shafts from a GP that i bought. cant wait to see the times i get, so far i ran 11.40 @ 123.87 with a 1.81 60ft.. i feel that theres a 10 in her this year as long as i hook up, which i will. give me a PM or reply back, ill ttys.

Vinny

Users who are viewing this thread