How to measure TPS on GT500?

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
How to measure TPS on GT500?

Hi guys, i'm planning on swapping out the TB... how do you measure the TPS Voltage, so I can reset to the new MAF?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Looks like I found it... although it's off a 2005+ Mustang GT... seems to be correct? (But mine registered 1.54? Is that too high)

CHECKING TPS VOLTAGE

To check the TPS voltage you must have a DIGITAL voltmeter.

1. Re-assemble and install the stock throttle body.
2. LEAVE THE THROTTLE BODY MOTOR UNPLUGGED (the small connector on the driver side of the throttle body).
3. Ground the black wire of your meter and poke the probe of the red wire on the meter into the YELLOW wire of the TPS sensor which is the bottom wire on the plug located on the passenger side of the throttle body. You DO NOT need to break the wire to read voltage. The best way to probe the yellow wire is to poke the probe into the plastic harness plug (while it’s plugged in to the TPS). You will need to penetrate the blue insulator the goes around the end of the yellow wire (hidden inside the harness plug) to reach the bare metal end of the yellow wire. Touch the probe to the bare metal end of the yellow wire
4. Turn the ignition to the ON position but do not start the car.
5. Read the meter display. You should see a voltage reading between 1.19-1.31 volts. Write the voltage down.
6. Now re-install the BBK throttle body and repeat steps 2-5.
7. If the TPS voltage on the BBK throttle body varies from the stock TPS voltage then follow the next steps to adjust the BBK to stock settings. This is easily done with the throttle body bolted to the car.

ADJUSTING TPS VOLTAGE

1. Remove the motor housing from the throttle body and loosen the tiny Allen headed set screw that locks the brass plunger into place.
2. Hook the plastic capped spring back into the gear and mount the motor housing cover onto the throttle body with a few of the screws to hold it in place.
3. Rotate the plastic capped spring approx 180° COUNTER-CLOCKWISE until it pops into locked position.
4. Using a pair of pliers or Vise Grips while watching the meter, turn the brass plunger clockwise to increase voltage or counter clockwise to decrease voltage until the meter displays the same voltage reading you noted from the stock throttle body.
5. Once the correct voltage is achieved and verified, you may remove the motor housing cover and tighten the set screw back into place then re-assemble the BBK throttle body for driving operation.
6. Plug the throttle body motor in.
7. Turn the ignition key to the ON position, then to the OFF position 4 times to allow the car to check the throttle body for proper operation.

If the throttle body is correct then the CHECK ENGINE and FAILSAFE warnings should be gone when you turn the key on for the 4th time

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread